Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Your Legacy




(Prov 17:2 BBE) A servant who does wisely will have rule over a son causing shame, and will have his part in the heritage among brothers.

In this verse Solomon shares some wisdom that at first glance seems like it is no longer applicable today. But we can always glean from God’s Word and that is what we will do here.

In Solomon’s time having servants (or actually slaves) was commonplace. People did their best, as they do today, to build up an estate that they could pass on to their children. The social norm dictated that a person’s estate would be divided between their sons, with the firstborn often receiving a larger portion. However, if a person did not have a son, then their chief slave (or servant) would receive the inheritance.

This is the situation we see with Abram (later known as Abraham) in Genesis chapter 15. Even though Jehovah had promised to bless Abram richly and to bless the entire earth through him, Abram desperately desired a son. He knew that if he did not have a son, then all that he owned would be transferred over to his chief servant Eliezer. While I am sure he loved Eliezer and appreciated him, he really wanted a son, so that his estate and blessing would pass on through his blood lineage.

What Abram wanted is understandable and I would venture to say that the average person would feel the same way. Most people would prefer for their legacy to live on through their blood children. However, Solomon teaches an interesting proverb here.

Just because your son has your blood, it does not guarantee that he has your heart, your vision, or your legacy in mind.

Yes, there are many accounts of children abusing an inheritance and violating the vision and legacy of the parents who left it for them. Solomon says that in this case – in the event that you have a son who you know will bring shame to your name and all that you have worked so hard to do – it is better to promote one of your servants to your son’s position and to give your servant a portion of the inheritance. While this may sound cruel,

Solomon was choosing legacy over emotions.

It is quite interesting that Solomon wrote this, because he would have been wise to put it in practice himself. Solomon had a son who caused him all sorts of trouble (Rehoboam). Solomon also had a servant (Jeroboam) who was faithful and dedicated. When Solomon died his inheritance went to his blood-son. However, since Rehoboam continued to be hardheaded and cruel, the people of Israel rebelled against him and they chose Jeroboam to be their leader. Only Judah remained with Rehoboam. So, when it was all said and done, Solomon’s servant Jeroboam wound up leading 10 of the 12 tribes Solomon left behind and it was because he was the better man for the job.

In other words, Jeroboam was left with 83% of Solomon’s legacy and one could definitely argue that he did a better job than what Rehoboam would have done.

So what does this mean to you? A few things:

1. It is paramount that we prepare our children for their life’s assignment and to continue to develop the legacy the Father has birthed in us.

2. Just because someone has your blood it is no guarantee that they will have your heart.

3. Whatever the job, it should be given to the best person – emotions aside.

Father, I thank You for my born and unborn children. I declare, by faith, that I leave a legacy of righteousness. What You have birthed in me will NOT DIE when I die. It will continue on in the hearts of my children and also in the hearts of all those that You bless me to pour into. You are too big of a God and my lifespan is too short of a time for You to be just concerned with me. When You look at me You see my legacy and I will do all that I can to ensure it lives on. I impart into those selected few that You have assigned to me that are not my blood. Blood or not, I am determined to pass on all that I can, while I can, for You! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment