Monday, May 24, 2010

The Deceitfulness of Riches


The Deceitfulness of Riches

Prov 18:11 NIrV) The wealth of rich people is like a city that makes them feel safe. They think of it as a city with walls that can't be climbed.


This verse flows in the same vein as the last. Now, you may be thinking: "Wait a minute. The last verse had nothing to do with this verse." So let me explain. The last verse said, "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." In that verse Solomon was teaching us where the righteous run to for safety; and that is IN God. Our heavenly Father becomes the strong tower of protection for us. Solomon then compares those who trust in God with those who trust in their riches. Actually, the same Hebrew word for "safe" is used in both verses. One person seeks safety in God and the other seeks safety in money. Which one do you think is actually safer in the long run?

Now, so that I am clear, there is nothing wrong with having money, just as long as money does not have you. I have told you many times before that money makes an excellent servant, but a poor master. Having money is not the issue. The author of his passage (Solomon) was the wealthiest man in the land. Furthermore, if you look at his forefathers, men like: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and David, you will see that they were also extremely wealthy. So the issue is not having money, but rather having the wrong attitude towards it. Many rich people make the mistake of trusting in their riches. If the current US economy has taught us anything, it is that money can come and go. Those with wealth should thank God for it, and seek to manage it wisely, but ultimately their trust should be in God.

If you allow yourself to have the wrong attitude about money, then it is only a matter of time before you start to idolize it; or "love" it. Having money is not evil, but loving it is. Paul said, "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows" (1st Tim 6:10).

When you love money - when you crave it so much that all you can think about is making it - your focus get's so skewed that you will eventually neglect God and others in your pursuit of wealth. And worst of all, money can be deceitful. You can have it today and it can be gone tomorrow. However, if you pursue God, then He can bless you to be financially stable without aborting your relationship with Him and others in the process.

So what does this mean to you ? Simply put, it means that you must maintain the proper attitude about money. If you imagine your wealth to be your strongest defense, then you will be sadly mistaken. Money is necessary for most things, so it definitely has it's utility, but it can in no way replace God's position or protection in your life. Don't pursue things, pursue God; and before you know it, things will pursue you.

Father, I thank You for the reminder this morning. I maintain the proper attitude towards money. You can bless me to have money, because money will never have me. Money is my servant, not my master. I use all that You bless me to attain as a tool and to BE a blessing to others and to finance Your Kingdom. I never look to money for safety, because I know where my safety is, and that is IN YOU! I trust You Father with all my heart, my mind, soul, and my strength. I am committed to honoring with my thoughts, words, deeds, and checkbook. This morning I boldly declare that You are the center and circumference of my life and I will never forget it. In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment