Monday, May 24, 2010

God's Protection



(Prov 18:10 NIV) The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

This verse almost seems out of place. When I read what Solomon is saying it seems like these words would find a better home in Psalms. This is something we can definitely sing about. The mere thought that we can run to Jevovah (which is the actual Hebrew name used for "LORD" in this verse) for safety can easily lead us into praise and worship. I often quote this verse and just reading it causes my mind to scroll through the many times I have called on Jehovah for protection.

I was raised in the Catholic Church and my Catechism teacher was a Nunn named Sister Benedict. Sister Benedict taught me as a very little girl to pray when I was in trouble. She told me that if I felt like I was in danger, that I should earnestly pray, and if I did, she promised God would protect me. I trusted her, so I tried it.

One of the first times I can remember this working was when I was walking down the hall in high school and I saw a group of rough girls the leader was named Elizabeth and for whatever reason she had it out for me so as they were heading towards me. I developed a "sixth sense" that alerted me when danger was pending. My "sixth sense" was in full gear. I knew these girls and they were always up to no-good. I had witnessed them beat up many other girls. When they saw me they started talking amongst themselves and preparing to do something (I am sure it was not going to be good) to me. I remembered the words of Sister Benedict and I started praying.

Now, it was nothing like I pray today. Believe me, it was nothing fancy, but it was definitely heart felt. And to my surprise, the girls walked right passed me. While that might not seem like providential protection to anyone outside of Maui High School, believe me, it was. So after that I prayed all the time and God protected me countless times. I have had guns pointed to me, knives placed on my thought, and have been in various seriously dangerous situations, at the hand of my EX but the LORD delivered me from them all. Thank you Father God!!!

Why? Because I called on His name and He became a strong tower (an impenetrable fortress) for me!

So what does this mean to you? It means Jehovah can be - believe me, He wants to be - a strong tower of protection for you. I know some of you reading this are in Iraq or Afghanistan. I understand how real the dangers are over there, but you must acknowledge how real our God is. Paul asked the question: "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Rom 8:31). Think about that for a moment. If you call on God and He takes on the task of protecting you, then who (or what) can penetrate His protection?

Father, I thank You for Your Word. Your Word says, "Some trust in chariots and some trust in horses, but we shall trust in the name of the LORD our God." Your Word says, "Call on me the in day of trouble, and I will answer you, and deliver you, and you will glorify me." Your Word says, "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." I trust You and I believe Your Word. I call on You when I am in trouble. As a matter of fact, I call on You when I am not in trouble. I call on You every day and I get You involved in every area and aspect of my life. I truly believe that You are on me, in me, with me, and for me. Since You are on my side, who can be against me? I do not fear what man can do to me. Fear has no power over me. I enter this day with fearless confidence and with an overwhelming sense of praise and worship in my heart. I am safe in YOU! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment