Monday, December 13, 2010

Destiny’s Child


(1 Sam 16:13 MSG) Samuel took his flask of oil and anointed him, with his brothers standing around watching. The Spirit of GOD entered David like a rush of wind, God vitally empowering him for the rest of his life. Samuel left and went home to Ramah.

This morning I wanted to teach on “The Greatest Stories Ever Told we will investigate some of the great stories of the Bible and how they apply to our lives. Now, I call them stories for the sake of understanding, but these are not fictional accounts, but rather actual events. I was going to start with David and Goliath, but the Lord had me to back up one chapter, to allow me to show you the selection of this child of destiny, before we see what he did. There is a lot to deal with here, but I will attempt to summarize the story and my comments.

The Lord rejected Saul (1 Sam 15) as king and sent Samuel the prophet to Jesse’s house in Bethlehem because He had chosen one of his sons to be the next king. Samuel had to make up a story of why he was going to Bethlehem, because he knew that Saul would want to kill him if he knew what he was doing. So he said he was going to make a sacrifice and invited Jesse to come to the sacrifice with his sons. Jesse showed up with his sons and Samuel thought his mission almost complete when he saw Eliab. Eliab was Jesse’s eldest son and he was handsome, tall, and strong, but the Lord told Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him.

The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." So then Jesse called Abinadab, his second eldest, and had him pass in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, "The Lord has not chosen this one either." And this went on with five other boys. Seeing that the Lord had not chosen any of them, Samuel asked Jesse, "Are these all the sons you have?" Reluctantly, Jesse admitted that he had one more son, but he was out tending the sheep. Samuel said, "Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives." So here comes David. He walked in with his healthy complexion and a sparkle in his eyes. He was a good looking young man, but more importantly, God told Samuel that he was the one. This is where we pick up our text.

Samuel took his flask of oil and anointed him, with his brothers standing around watching. The Spirit of GOD entered David like a rush of wind, God vitally empowering him for the rest of his life.

What bothered me about this story was that it seemed that David did not have one friend in the camp. While he was out tending the sheep and fighting off lions, bears, and wolves; his brothers were with his Dad and he seemed to be the outsider. When it came time for Jesse to line up his sons before the prophet, the thought never passed his mind that David might be the one. Even if his father failed to mention David, at least one of his brothers could have brought his name up. At least one of them must have been his friend. Someone could have said, “Daddy, I know David is not going to get picked, but shouldn’t he at least be in the line up?”
David was omitted and overlooked, even overworked; but he was Destined! He was Destiny’s Child!

So what does this mean to you? A lot, but let me just share a few things:
1. God is always looking and He honors faithfulness.
2. Your Father knows what is done is secret and will reward you openly (Mat 6:4).
3. God will make your oppressors stand by while you get promoted.
4. What God has for you is for you and no one can stop it.
5. You may be denied, derailed, and dismissed by others, but you are still destined by God!
6. You are Destiny’s Child!

Lord God. I thank You for seeing me when no one else would. Also Lord, thank you for Gloria and Margaret who something in me and mentored me. Father God You know me and are acquainted with all my ways. You know my thoughts before I think them, You know my desires before I have them, and You know my dreams before I dream them; because You have initiated them all and will bring them to pass in my life. I am not controlled by others, I am controlled by You. I may be overlooked and omitted by others, but I am destined my You. I am a child of purpose. I am a child of promise. I am a child of power. I am a child of God. I am a child of Destiny! I am Destiny’s Child and I enter this day with my Destiny in mind! In Jesus’ name. Amen!
This is Today's Word! Apply it and Prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment