Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Get Sweet Sleep



(Psalm 127:2 KJV) It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

This morning we continue with Help! I'm getting STRESSED Out" where we are looking at Biblical ways to handle and deal with negative stress. I believe that one of the greatest things you can do to combat negative stress is to get a good night's rest. The negative effects of sleeplessness are so detrimental that sleep depravation is recognized as one of the worst torture mechanisms that can be levied on a captive. Going without sleep can adversely affect you physically, psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually; and the sad reality is that most Americans don't get enough sleep because of their busy schedules and when they finally lay down their sleep is not 'sweet'. With that in mind, let's look at five things that can help us, as believers, get better sleep:

1. Establish the Trust Factor and resist worry: We talked about trust yesterday and trust is a key factor in getting good sleep. Why? Because what keeps most people up at night is worry, but you can't worry and trust at the same time. Either you are going to trust God or you are going to worry, but you can't do both. Solomon said, "It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep" (Psalm 127:2). Don't allow worry to feed you a steady diet of sorrowful bread. Trust God and allow Him to give you, as His beloved, sweet sleep. Before you go to sleep, remind the Father of this scripture, tell Him that you trust Him, and ask Him to GIVE you sweet sleep.

2. Get rooted and grounded in Love: When we are completely convinced that the Father loves us, it truly helps us to trust Him, to resist the incapacitating power of fear, and to enter into God's rest. John said, "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love" (1st John 4:18). When you are rooted and grounded in God's love fear has no power over you. Allow the Father's love to flood your heart and your mind, and as you do fear will be flushed out.

3. Rest in the fact that God is your protector: If God is IN you, ON you, WITH you, and FOR you, what do you have to be afraid of? David said, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety" (Psalm 4:8). David's son Solomon said, "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet" (Prov 3:24)
Trust that God will protect you and sleep in peace and your sleep with be SWEET.

4. Remember that God is still up: The psalmist said, "Indeed, He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps" (Psalm 121:4). We know that God never goes to sleep. Now this might sound funny, but there have been times when I, just before going to sleep, would say this to God, "Father, you are up, so there is no need in both of us being up. I am going to sleep." He is up so that you don't have to be. GO TO SLEEP!

5. Have fun: If you are miserable all day, then you will more-than-likely be the same at night. Don't live a miserable life. Enjoy your life in Christ and have FUN! Solomon said, "A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones" (Prov 17:22). If you have fun during the day, you will also have fun while you sleep and your sleep will be sweet!

Father, I establish the trust factor in my life. My unwavering trust in You enables me to resist worry at all costs. I refuse to stay up worrying. I am also rooted and grounded in Your love. Your love enables me to resist every inkling to fear. Your love floods my heart and my mind and as it does, it flushes out all fear. Fear has no power over me and I am convinced that You Father are my protector. You are on me, in me, with me, and for me; I have nothing to be afraid of. You are always up; therefore I don't need to be. I have fun in You all day and then I go to sleep with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, and Your rest in my spirit. When I sleep my sleep is sweet. I get sleep and rest daily! In Jesus' name. Amen.

This is Today's Word! Apply it and Prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment