Thursday, February 25, 2010

Self Control




(Prov 16:32 NASB) He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.


When we read the Bible we must remember the setting. We have to take into account: who is writing, to whom, for what purpose, and etc. A scripture can never mean what it never meant. That is why I always attempt to share with you what I believe it meant (back then), before we seek to apply what it means to us today.

As we read this scripture we must remember that Solomon, a sitting king, wrote this around 950 B.C. This was a time when successful leaders led by the sword. Kings and kingdoms were challenged regularly. Therefore, kings were wise to maintain vast armies. Kingdoms were expanded by conquering cities and territories. The military leaders that were courageous enough to lead men into brutal and bloody close-in combat were considered mighty warriors and were celebrated openly. For example, people danced for David when he killed Goliath.

This is the backdrop upon which we read Solomon’s words. It is somewhat surprising that a sitting ruler – in a land and time where safety depended on might and skill in warfare – would make such a statement. I believe Solomon’s point was that conquering yourself is the greatest challenge. Greater than taking a city, if you can learn to govern yourself, to control your own temper, and to rule over your emotions, then you have won a great battle.

Yes, winning the war within is one of the greatest challenges we face. Bishop Noel Jones preached a message entitled, “The Enemy IN-A Me!” In his message he spoke of the challenges we, as believers, face when we are attempting to let go of the old man (and nature), in order to lay hold of the new.

Self-control, especially where our temper is concerned, should be our ultimate goal. Back in chapter 14 Solomon warned us against losing our temper. He said, “Short-tempered people do foolish things” (v.17) and “A hot temper shows great foolishness” (v.29). Later in Proverbs Solomon said, “A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls” (25:28) and, “A foolish person lets his anger run wild. But a wise person keeps himself under control” (29:11).

So what does this mean to you? It means that self-control is superior to conquest. Countless people, even believers, have lost their jobs, marriages, children, friends, and health, all because they lost their temper. If you fail to win the war for yourself you run the risk of ruining all that God has done and desires to do in your life. Greater than capturing a city, greater than being a military warrior, greater than seeking fame and fortune what you can do to others, seek to govern yourself. If you lead yourself well, then God will open the doors of opportunity for your to lead others and to make the impact in their lives that He desires for your to make. But it all starts with you. Look in the mirror this morning and ask yourself: “Am I in control of myself? Am I capable of controlling my anger, temper, lusts, illicit desires, and wayward thoughts?” If the answer is NO, then it is time for you to spend some time in prayer and study about this. If you lose control, even for a few minutes, you might lose it all!

Father, I thank You for the sobering reminder this morning that I must develop the ability to control myself. Many believers have wrecked their lives over a few minutes of uncontrolled passion. I declare, right now, by faith, that I will do everything I need to do – developing in the Word and in prayer – so that I can rule over my own spirit with confidence. I refuse to allow my emotions or lusts to derail me from my destiny. With Your power and Your grace, I control myself and I am able to be used of You for Your glory! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment