Friday, February 5, 2010


Trusting God Financially

(Prov 16:19 NIrV) Suppose you are lowly in spirit and are with those who are beaten down. That's better than sharing stolen goods with those who are proud

Yesterday I shared with you some of the scriptures that Solomon wrote about the dangers of pride. Remember, these are not just Solomon’s words, but God’s Word. God hates pride. Back in chapter six, when Solomon listed the things that God hates, pride was listed first. In other words, pride was #1 on God’s hate parade (see 6:16-19).

Pride is what got the archangel, whom we know as satan today, kicked out of heaven. He was Lucifer—son of the morning—probably the highest creature God created until pride was found in him. Lucifer attempted to lift himself above God and he would up taking a great fall.

Pride is so despicable to God that here He tells us that is actually better to be in poverty – which I know, from firsthand experience, is NOT good – than to share plunder (gains, riches) that were acquired dishonestly. Remember, Solomon is not against money and neither is God. Solomon was the richest man of his time. To provide contemporary context, this would be like Bill Gates speaking to us about the dangers of gaining wealth the wrong way.

Solomon had wealth and God blessed him to have it, but Solomon was warning us to avoid the association of those, who through their pride, attempt to gain riches without regard for God’s standard.

Let’s bring this into today’s setting. The United States’ economy is still in the middle of a recession. Many have lost their jobs. Millions of people are struggling to make ends meet. Some have opted to make money through dishonest means and many believers have been invited to join in. This is where the believer must make a choice. Either you are going to take the bait and violate God’s standard to make a buck or you are going to stand on your values and the principles of God’s Word and believe that God will open a door for you to be financially stable; without violating His law! If you dishonor, disrespect, and disregard God, you might make a few bucks in the short term, but believe me, you will regret it in the long term.

God’s favor, grace, and anointing on your life should be too valuable to you for you to lose it over temporary riches. Solomon tells us this morning that is better to struggle financially, while maintaining your Godly integrity, than to get rich through dishonest means.

So what does this mean to you ? A few things:

1. Trust God to be your source: If you honor Jehovah He will honor you. If you manage your finances the way He tells you to in His Word, then you can trust Him to supply all your need according to His riches in Glory!

2. Watch your associations: If you hang with the wrong people you will become the wrong person. My mother often said, “Show me your friends and I will show you your future.” Solomon warns us about connecting with those who are doing wrong.

3. Maintain your integrity: I know I say this all the time, but it is worth repeating. God does not want you to say one thing and then do another; or to claim one thing on Sunday, any live another way during the week. Be a person of integrity and align your thoughts, words, and actions with His Word; and don’t let anyone sway you from your convictions!

Father, I thank You for blessing me financially. I honor You with my finances, doing those things that You instruct in Your Word, and I truly believe that You will honor me. I give, save, and spend (in that order) and I believe that You will supply all my need, according to Your riches in glory. I don’t lean to the arm of the flesh. I resist every temptation to do wrong. I don’t have close associations with those who seek riches the wrong way. I keep myself pure and centered in Your Word. As You bless me and cause me to increase, I will be able to testify to others that you don’t have to violate God’s Word to be financially secure. Even in the midst of an unstable economy, I thank You for causing me to increase, prosper, and succeed. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment