Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Story of Mephibosheth





2nd Sam 4:4 MSG) It so happened that Saul's son, Jonathan, had a son who was maimed in both feet. When he was five years old, the report on Saul and Jonathan came from Jezreel. His nurse picked him up and ran, but in her hurry to get away she fell, and the boy was maimed. His name was Mephibosheth.

I begin to wind down this series, so we can go back to Proverbs, I have been in prayer about how to close it out. One of the people the Father wants me to introduce to you, within the context of this series, before I close it out, is Mephibosheth. His story is one of the most powerful stories of redemption you will ever hear. If you don't know anything about him, then get ready, because you are going to enjoy this ride. If you have read about him before, then still get ready, because the Lord has a way of reintroducing old stories in a new way.

By the way, just so you know, I love this stuff! I can get up in the morning, sit in front of my computer, with no one else around but me and God, and get so excited about writing Today's Word that sometimes I could high-five myself (smile). Lest I regress, let's get on to the story.

Mephibosheth was born the son of Jonathan, and grandson of Saul (2 Sam. 4:4), the king of Israel. Think about what type of life Mephibosheth had as a kid. He was raised in the royal palace. He had servants waiting on him hand-and-foot. He didn't have a need in the world and he probably did not have a care in the world. He was in heir to the throne, so he had the best of everything and he was also being prepared for the possibility that he could some day be king. But all of that changed in a moment. His life came crashing down on him at the tender age of five years old. News came back to the royal palace that king Saul and prince Jonathan, Mephibosheth's grandfather and father, had both been killed in the Battle of Mount Gilboa. Everyone in the palace knew that their lives would never be the same. So hearing of this calamity, his nurse (or nanny) fled with him from Gibeah (the royal residence) and in her haste she stumbled and dropped him to the ground. This was no ordinary fall. Mephibosheth fell so hard that he was left paralyzed from that day forward (2 Sam 19:26). Talk about a tragedy! Mephibosheth lost his father, grandfather, the throne, and the use of his legs within a matter of minutes. So there he was... the same little boy who didn't have a care in the world was now maimed for life and his future was completely uncertain. How's that for a stressful situation?

Mephibosheth was carried to the land of Gilead where he found refuge in the house of Machir, at Lo-debar, and he was raised there. Interestingly enough, the word Lo-debar (the town where Mephibosheth grew up) means "no pasture," "no word" or "no communication." And true to its name, Lo-debar was a barren place - physically, psychologically, and spiritually - it was a place of no hope. We will stop here for today.

So what does this mean to you? It means that some times life takes unexpected turns, but the only way we can stay down, when life takes us down, is if we decide to stay there. We will see how Mephibosheth's life was turned around and your can as well. If there is still blood flowing through your veins and air flowing through your lungs, then it is evidence that God IS NOT through with you! In other words, if you're still alive, then you can still recover! Your Story IS NOT over! The last chapter of your book has not been written! Don't judge your future by your past... get excited about what God wants to do in and through you!

Father, I have had my fair share of setbacks and disappointments. Many of them have come as a result of my own mistakes. But I am thankful that I am still alive, I am still here, I am still breathing, I am still moving, and since I am, then I will keep on believing that You desire to use me for Your glory. No matter how difficult things get for me, I am a believer and not a doubter. I know that all things are possible to him that believes - and that's me! I won't allow past pain to spoil future success! I am looking forward to my future. I enter this day with great expectations. If you did it for Mephibosheth, You can do it for me! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment