Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Maintaining Your Focus on God


(Prov 16:7 NIrV) When the way you live pleases the LORD, he makes even your enemies live at peace with you.
Here Solomon gives us an oft-quoted proverb. This verse is a strong reminder for the person who is dealing with constant enemies. The reminder is that we must maintain our Godly disposition, even when under attack. If we do – remembering that their poison can’t stop our purpose anyway – we open ourselves up the possibility of winning a new friend.

A good example of this is the tension that existed between lawyer/politician Edwin Stanton and ‘then’ presidential candidate Abraham Lincoln. Stanton treated Lincoln with utter contempt, publically calling him a “low cunning clown” and “the original gorilla.” Stanton said that there was no need to go to Africa to capture a gorilla when one was available in Springfield, Illinois.

Lincoln however, never retaliated. Lincoln was a strong believer and he kept his emotions in check. After Lincoln was elected President and he was making cabinet appointments, he selected Stanton to be his War Minister, stating that Stanton was the best qualified for the office. Years later, when Lincoln was killed by the assassin's bullet, Stanton looked over the dead President and said tearfully, “There lies the greatest ruler of men the world has ever seen.”

I could share similar stories about Abimelech and Isaac, Esau and Jacob, king Nebuchadnezzer and the three Hebrew boys, and countless other Biblical characters. Not to mention the fact that I have my fair share of stories of situations where I maintained my Christian conduct, while under attack, only to see my attackers turn out to be my supporters.

Now, don’t get me or Solomon wrong. This verse DOES NOT mean that if our ways please God that we will not have ANY enemies. You and I know that that is not true. We will have enemies. There is no question about that, especially when we walk with God. But the message here is that if we maintain our Christian character and conduct, our enemies, when the chips are down, will admit that God is using us and that we are good people. Whether they personally like us or not, they will see the God in us and that’s what the Father calls us to do.

Jehovah wants us to be light and love. Eventually, once our enemies soften their hearts towards God, they won’t be able to resist the charm that rests upon those that walk in God’s favor. It is at this point that your foe becomes your friend. But even while they heart is hard towards God and you, your righteous character will force them to rethink their conduct towards you.

So what does this mean to you? It means that your energy should be put towards pleasing God. Its natural to want others to like you, and this desire leads many to do almost anything to win their approval, but Solomon reminds us to that we should simply seek the approval of God. When your walk is pleasing to God you will experience favor with Him and with man. But even if you do encounter human resistance, hold on.

Maintain your Christian character and conduct and you will see that the very same people who are against you might wind up being your strongest supporters. I will close with the Message Bible paraphrase of this verse reads: “When GOD approves of your life, even your enemies will end up shaking your hand.”

Father, thank You for reminding me this morning to keep my focus on You. I seek to please You in all my ways. I am not moved by the attacks of my enemies. I know their poison can’t stop my purpose. As a matter of fact, I pray for them. I know that they don’t know whom they are attacking. I will maintain a disposition of light and love so that You can use me to reach them, for Your glory. I refuse to allow myself to be ruled by my emotions and I resists every urge to repay evil with evil. I walk in one-sided love today. Use me Father as a conduit of Your grace. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment