Wednesday, January 27, 2010


Protecting Your Anointing

(Prov 16:12 NASB) It is an abomination for kings to commit wicked acts, For a throne is established on righteousness.

In the last verse Solomon urged us to maintain our integrity in business (using the proper scales). In this verse he acknowledges the fact that he is not exonerated from the same requirement. Although he was a sitting king and he theoretically did not have to report to anyone (kings had no checks or balances), he openly recognized a higher power and a higher authority. This flows in the same vein of what Solomon said two verses ago when he acknowledged the fact that while he was in authority (as the supreme ruler of the land), he was also under the authority of the God that placed him on the throne.

Since God gave him the ability to lead, then it would stand to reason that he needed to maintain God’s standards as he led.

Solomon does not only write this as an acknowledgement of his own standards, as a king, but also as instructions for all kings and leaders. We should all learn to love what God loves and hate what God hates; and Jehovah hates sin.

David, Solomon’s father and predecessor as king, shared similar views and values. David said, “I will be careful to live a blameless life… I will lead a life of integrity in my own home. I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar. I hate all who deal crookedly; I will have nothing to do with them. I will reject perverse ideas and stay away from every evil” (Psalm 101:2-4).

Not only did David and Solomon seek to abstain from evil themselves, but they took the additional step of ensuring that all those around them abstained from it as well. Both David and Solomon understood the fact that they could lose their position of leadership, if they chose to disregard and disrespect God and His standards. They sought, with all their might, to maintain the high moral standards of righteousness. The last thing Solomon wanted was to be dethroned. He went on to write more about this. In the 20th chapter Solomon said,

“Love and faithfulness keep a king safe; through love his throne is made secure” (20:28). In the 25th chapter he said, “Remove the wicked from the king's presence, and his throne will be established through righteousness” (25:5). And finally, in the 29th chapter he said, “If a king judges poor people fairly, his throne will always be secure” (29:14).

So what does this mean to you It means that you protect God’s anointing on your life when you earnestly seek to maintain His standards. The Message Bible paraphrase of this verse reads: “Good leaders abhor wrongdoing of all kinds; sound leadership has a moral foundation.” This does not just apply to kings. The Father has given you a level of influence over others and you run the risk of losing it if you choose to misrepresent God and disrespect His law. Paul told us to “Avoid every kind of evil” (1st Thes 5:22). There is a level of safety and peace that you enjoy when you know that your standards are inline with God’s standards. The songwriter said, “The safest place in the whole wide world is in the will of God.”

Do you want to be safe? Then live life the way that the Father wants you to live it. Believe me, you don’t want to be on the “other side” of God.

Father, I thank You for calling us to righteousness and I declare, by faith, that I heed the call. I abstain for even the appearance of evil. I walk circumspectly before you, making every effort to do only those things that are pleasing in your sight. By carefully and cautiously considering all that I do, I protect the position You have blessed me with and Your blessing upon my life. Your blessing on my life is too precious to me, for me to carelessly and foolishly dibble and dabble in sin. Not only does my commitment to Your ways protect what You are doing in my life, but it also protects my legacy. I declare that the blessing on my life WILL pass on to my children and my children’s children! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment