Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Holding On (Part II)



(Heb 10:35,36 AMP) Do not, therefore, fling away your fearless confidence, for it carries a great and glorious compensation of reward. For you have need of steadfast patience and endurance, so that you may perform and fully accomplish the will of God, and thus receive and carry away [and enjoy to the full] what is promised.

Yesterday I discussed the importance of “Holding On” to your confidence. As believers we are clearly called to live by faith. Living by faith is all about confidence. Once you lose your confidence it is only a matter of time before you slip into fear, doubt, and unbelief. With that in mind, let’s take a closer look at this passage in Hebrews. The writer of Hebrews gave us what many consider to be the standard definition of faith (11:1) and an entire chapter is dedicated to highlighting some of the heroes of the faith (chapter 11). Some actually refer to Hebrews chapter 11 as the “Hall of Faith.” The passage we are looking at this morning is actually part of the ‘lead up’ to chapter 11.

Do not, therefore, fling away your fearless confidence: If you have been reading my emails a while you know that the definition I use for faith is: an expression of your confidence in God and in His Word. I have also stated that fear can similarly be defined as: an expression of your confidence in satan and his word.

Our text teaches us that we should walk in “fearless confidence.” Our confidence in God and in His Word should be so strong that we give no space to fear. Fear is an incapacitating force that can cripple even the strongest person. As believers we must resist fear at all costs. To good news is that we don’t necessarily have to focus on resisting fear, just as long as we focus on remaining ‘in-faith.’ See, you cannot be in-fear and in-faith at the same time. Just like fear cancels out your faith, faith cancels out your fear. If we remain in-faith daily, then fear will have no power over us. The more we learn to see every situation through the lens of faith and to train our minds to think “faith” and not “fear,” the more natural living by faith will become.

This should definitely be our goal, because we have learned that we cannot please God without faith (Heb 11:6).

This portion of the text tells us not to fling away our fearless confidence. This tells us that we have the ability to remain in-faith and we also have the ability to loose our grip on it and to embrace fear, doubt and/or unbelief. While we have a choice, the choice should be clear – we are to keep a close grip on our faith and never let it go, even in the face of strong opposition. That is why we need the “Warrior Spirit;” to hold on to our faith with bulldog tenacity.

For it carries a great and glorious compensation of reward: The Hebrew writer also taught us that God rewards those who “Diligently seek Him” (11:6). In other words, the Father rewards those who are persistent. God is not looking or short bursts of confidence (faith). For example, when Peter walked on water he did so because he had complete confidence. Jesus told him to “come” and he went. However, Peter quickly shifted his attention from Jesus to wind and the waves, doubt crept in, he lost the grip of his faith, and he fell in the water. What do you think Jesus’ response was?

You would think Jesus would say, “Wow Peter, that was awesome! You walked on water.” No, Jesus said, “You of little faith” (Mat 14:31). The word “little” there is not a reference to type, but rather to duration. Peter did an amazing thing, but he only did it for a short time. Don't misunderstand me Peter was an awesome man of God and did amazing things however he only walk on water for a shot time a matter of minutes. The Father is looking for people who will maintain their faith for the long haul; for those who believe God and remain unshakable in their resolve to see the manifestation of His promises in their lives. Make no mistake, it is rewarding to live a life of faith! We will stop here for today.

Father, I thank You for renewing a Warrior Spirit in me. I declare openly, with my own lips, that I have fearless confidence in You and in Your Word. I operate in that fearless confidence today and everyday. I will not allow anything or anyone to cause me to fling my fearless confidence away. Operating in fearless confidence carries a great and glorious compensation of reward in my life. I benefit greatly form the consistency that comes from my unshakable resolve. I live by faith daily. I stay the course for the long haul. I have STAYING POWER and my unwillingness to release the hold of my confidence keeps me from the perils of fear! Fear has no power over me! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment