Friday, July 30, 2010

Treasure in Vessels



(2 Cor 4:7 NLT) We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

This morning we continue by continuing to discuss Paul: his life and his teachings. I trust you have been blessed by learning from Paul. Paul, to me, epitomized the "Warrior Spirit." He endured seemingly insurmountable challenges and not only did he NOT lose heart, but he also urged us to do the same.

We have already learned that Paul opened the fourth chapter of his second letter to the church at Corinth with the words: "Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart." In that same chapter he goes on to share with us our focus text. Early on in my Christian journey I memorized this verse from the traditional King James Version, which reads: "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." To be honest, I memorized the words, but I really did not understand the message. But now, after many years of study and after learning more about Paul's tumultuous journey, I better understand his writings. Furthermore, I have also leveraged more modern translations like the New Living (quoted above) and the Contemporary English Version, which reads: "We are like clay jars in which this treasure is stored. The real power comes from God and not from us." As I taught on this a little last night at my life group reading scripture from different translations and looking up the meanings of the words in the original Hebrew and Greek have helped a great deal. I then couple that with my own Christian experience and my life becomes a confirming witness to the scriptures I seek to live by.

The picture Paul paints for us is one of a container (a jar) which holds a precious commodity. We are the container and the Holy Spirit Himself is the precious prize. But the picture is not as simple as a jar and its contents. In this case the jar does not just contain the precious prize, it is actually empowered by it. We don't just house the Holy Spirit, but He literally equips, enables, empowers, and employs us to do the Father's work in the earth. The reason Paul could unreservedly say that "We do not lose heart" is because he knew that we are not just living off of our own power. Human ability alone is very limited. I am convinced that Paul could not have endured all that he did on his own. Without the power of the Holy Spirit Paul would have 'thrown in the towel' well before he accomplished all he did. But since Paul had God's power flowing in and through him, he was able to supernaturally persevere and perform. Paul plainly states, in our verse today, that the power is from God, not from us.

So what does this mean to you to you? A few things:

1. The Holy Spirit gives you His presence: You don't have to face your challenges alone. He will never leave you, nor forsake you.

2. The Holy Spirit gives you His power: God's ability, on your ability, enables you to do what you could not do based upon your ability alone.

3. The Holy Spirit gives you His peace: The peace of God is a peace that passes all human understanding. Paul experienced this peace and so can we. This peace enables us to remain calm in the midst of any storm. If you have a Warrior Spirit, you will need this peace to keep you when it seems like everything is going haywire in your life.

Father, I thank You for filling me with Your precious Holy Spirit. Your Spirit, in me, guarantees me Your presence. I know I am never alone so I don't have any need to fear. NO FEAR HERE! You Spirit gives me access to Your power. Your super, on my natural, enables me to operate in the supernatural. I know that the true power comes from You and not me. I rely on Your power daily. I do what You have blessed me to do, and I then BELIEVE for the rest. And lastly, Your Spirit gives me Your peace. Your peace cannot be figured out. Even when it seems like I should be at my wit's end, I keep going, I hold on, I persevere, I continue, because Your peace gives me the serenity to endure any challenge and to remain focused every step of the way! In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment