Monday, July 12, 2010

Holding On!


Holding On!

(Heb 10:35,36 AMP) Do not, therefore, fling away your fearless confidence, for it carries a great and glorious compensation of reward. For you have need of steadfast patience and endurance, so that you may perform and fully accomplish the will of God, and thus receive and carry away [and enjoy to the full] what is promised.

In the last message we focused in on the fact that Shammah did the resisting and the fighting, but the ultimate victory was attributed to God. The point I made was that it was not all Shammah and it was not all God – it was both. I run across many people (believers and unbelievers) who either blame everything on God (not taking accountability for their actions) or put everything on themselves (as if God has nothing to do with their lives). I believe the truth is in neither extreme. God definitely wants to work in our lives, but He will not do it in spite of us.

For example, God clearly did NOT want Adam to eat of the forbidden fruit, but He also did not knock the fruit out of his hands. As much as our heavenly Father loves us and as much as He goes to far-reaching efforts to speak to us and warn us (through His Spirit, His Word, others, circumstances, and etc.), if we stubbornly insist on doing the wrong thing, we will get the wrong results.

Many of us get to the point where we make mistakes simply because we lose heart and we fling away our confidence. Even Abraham – who is considered the Father of Faith – lost his confidence and he made a critical mistake. After waiting for years for his promised son and after many failed attempts at procreation with his wife Sarah, Abraham and Sarah decided to come up with a PLAN B. It is understandable because while we are waiting on God for something to happen it seems like the pressure mounts daily.

With each passing day, if you are not careful, you can definitely lose your confidence and throw in the towel. Abraham and Sarah did and the world is still dealing with the consequences of their decision. The rift between Muslims and Jews started with Sarah and Hagar and it was a result of Abraham and Sarah’s PLAN B.

Believe me, I understand how difficult walking by faith and especially waiting on God can be. I am waiting right now. I am in a situation right now that I have no control over. I am waiting on God to do something and as the days go by the pressure to cave in and quit mounts. But I am extremely thankful for this “Warrior Spirit” .

I have taught about faith for years and I seek to live by faith daily. This series has rekindled a fire within my members I longed to feel. You and I, like Shammah, must be fully committed. It is obvious that Shammah was willing to die. Shammah was committed, no matter the cost and in the end the Father worked with him to bring about a great victory. Shammah did not give up, even though the odds were insurmountable and [humanly speaking] the outcome seemed bleak.

Shammah held his ground, which is exactly what I am going to do and what I ask you to do. I guess you can call me the “No Quit Person,” because it seems like that message of never quitting, never throwing in the towel, and continuing to stand (no matter the opposition), is a message that comes through in many of my messages.

I will stop here for today and tomorrow we will take a closer look at this passage (Heb 10:35,36), where we will learn the importance of not flinging away our fearless confidence.

So what does this mean to you ? A few quick things:
1. If you lose your confidence you will drift into fear, doubt, and unbelief.

2. If you get into fear, doubt, and unbelief you will not be able to stand very long.

3. Once you can no longer stand, you will make fear-filled (not faith-filled) decisions.

4. Fear-filled decisions will not produce results that are pleasing to God; therefore they will not be pleasing to you either.

Father, I thank You for stirring up the faith that is within me. I declare, by faith, that You lead, guide, and direct me daily. I am confident that You will do what You said You will do in my life and I also have the faith to stick with “it” until the end. I walk with You daily and as You lead me to situations that require Your intervention and my patience, I declare that I will wait on You; maintaining my confidence while I do. I refuse to fling away my fearless confidence, because I know it brings with it a great reward! I am holding on and I WILL NOT QUIT! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment