Monday, October 25, 2010

Honoring Your Parents


(Prov 20:20 CEV) Children who curse their parents will go to the land of darkness long before their time.

This morning we continue walking in the Wisdom of God through the book of Proverbs. Solomon has already taught us about God's desire for us to live long lives and how sin can lead to premature death.

Back in chapter 3 the Lord, through Solomon, said, "My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity."

That is about as plain as it can be. Solomon continued: "Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold... Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor." In chapter 9 he said, "Respect and obey the LORD! This is the beginning of wisdom.

To have understanding, you must know the Holy God. I am Wisdom. If you follow me, you will live a long time." In chapter 10 he said, "If you respect the LORD, you will live longer; if you keep doing wrong, your life will be cut short." And finally, in the 19th chapter he said, "Keep God's laws and you will live longer; if you ignore them, you will die." I could go on and on. This is just what Solomon said about the topic. Believe me, this is by no means and exhaustive list.

In this verse Solomon makes the connection between premature death and cursing (or disrespecting) one's parents. Once again, Solomon is not unique in this teaching. In Exodus 20 Moses taught this principle and in the New Testament Paul quoted Moses when he said, "Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. "Honor your father and mother." This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth" (Eph 6:1-3).

The message is clear: the Father has a special place in his heart for parents. Just like God will hold parents responsible and accountable for how they raised their children, He holds children responsible and accountable for how they treat their parents. Not only should children respect all authority, respecting parental authority is particularly important because a blessing or a curse is associated with it.

When I was growing up I had never read what Solomon, Moses, or Paul said about this, but I would never disrespect my parents. Many of my friends feared their parents - and I literally mean "feared" - but my relationship with my parents was one of reverential respect and not fear. I did what they asked me to do, not because I was afraid of the punishments (physical or otherwise), but because I loved them and I wanted to please them. Now that I am a parent I attempt to be the example for my children that my parents were for me. If God cares how children treat parents, then we should care too.

So what does this mean to you? It means that the Father expects you to honor your parents. It does not matter how old you are or how old they are, your parents have a special place in God's heart, so they should have one in yours. Now, if you dishonor, disregard, and disrespect your parents you WILL reap what you sow and it will NOT be pleasant; it may even cause a premature death!

Jehovah, I love You, my heavenly Father, and I also love my earthly parents. I honor You and I honor them. I have read Your Word and I see the special place parents have in Your heart. I declare openly and unashamedly that my parents also have a special place in my heart. I don't honor them JUST to avoid a curse. No, I honor my parents willingly and lovingly daily; and I will honor them all the days of my life. Now, since I do honor my parents Your Word tells me that my days will be prolonged in the earth. I look forward to living long and living strong! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment