Friday, October 15, 2010

Refusing to Take Advantage of Others



(Prov 20:14 NLT) The buyer haggles over the price, saying, "It's worthless," then brags about getting a bargain!

Solomon gives us an interesting proverb this morning. When I first read it I did not know what to make of it. I had to read this verse in several translations and also read what commentators had to say before I was able to understand what Solomon is teaching here. I can now see that this verse flows in the same vein with those that Solomon has taught us about integrity, honesty, hard work, and respect.

As I have been teaching you all we know that Solomon was a major businessman, running a nation with a multi-billion dollar surplus. Solomon knew that his nation was blessed because the hand of Jehovah was on it. He also knew that integrity, especially in business matters, was a key facet of keeping the hand of God on Israel. If you read Chronicles you will see Israel go through a proverbial roller coaster ride. The nation went up and down, based upon the quality and character of their leaders. When Israel had leadership who honored God the nation was blessed, when they did not, they were not. It's that simple. God is not going to bless mess. He expects us to walk in His Word, will, and way.

This leads us to Solomon's lesson for us this morning. Solomon teaches us that when we buy something we should pay a fair price. In Solomon's day people would haggle over an item, very much like we to today. Haggling, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing. However, Solomon explains that some shoppers clearly recognized the value of an item, but unscrupulously belittled/disparaged the item, just so the seller could bring the price down. And as soon as the seller would, the unscrupulous shopper would buy the item, knowing good and well that they purchased it below the fair market value, only to later brag about the deal. The Message Bible paraphrase of this verse makes it clear; it reads: "The shopper says, "That's junk-I'll take it off your hands," then goes off boasting of the bargain."

This reminds me of my parents they had a nursery and many time they would go to the Flea Markets to sell their wares…and many people would haggle with them for a better price. This would really upset my mom because the prices that they had was already very low, and many time she would say “this is the price take it or leave it”. My parents were just trying to make a living just like everyone else and this is what upset my mom. She felt that people were trying to take advantage of them.

To be quite honest, when I read this verse I was convicted. I used to do just what Solomon describes, especially while perusing the garage sales back in the day. I actually furnished an entire house once by going to multiple garage sales. I know that I would surely boasted whenever I received a deal that was better than market value. Wow that's really Solomon's message. Now that I am a believer, and I love God and His people, I can't go around looking to take advantage of people. At the end of the day, the merchant is trying to make a living just like everyone else. As a child of God we should go around being a blessing, not a curse. Now, I am not saying that we should pay ABOVE market value, but we should simply pay a fair price. When we pay a fair price everyone wins. We get what we wanted and the merchant is able to make the desired profit, in order to stay in business and to make his or her own living.

So what does this mean to you? It means that God expects you, as a believer, to walk in integrity in every area of your life. Yes, God cares about little things like the price you paid for something. Don't think that you can go around taking advantage of people and still retain His blessing. And is it really worth it? Is saving a few dollars on a purchase worth losing the blessing and favor of God over? Absolutely not!

Father, I thank You for blessing me to be a blessing to every person I come in contact with. I walk in integrity in every area and facet of my life. I honor You with my finances and You cause me to walk in Your best financially and otherwise. I have more than enough to meet the needs of every situation. Therefore, I have no need, nor desire, to take advantage of others. I seek to maximize my income by not overpaying for items, but I also refuse to willfully and dishonestly deceive others in order to underpay. I do what is right, because it's right, and I seek to do it right - every time. This way I will continue to honor You and You will continue to bless me. In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment