Thursday, October 28, 2010

Walk in Love, Not Revenge


(Prov 20:22 GNB) Don't take it on yourself to repay a wrong. Trust the LORD and he will make it right.

This morning we continue in the book of Proverbs - WE are walking through this book that I call the Wisdom of God. Solomon has already taught us a great deal about cause and effect, and sowing and reaping. He has made it clear that God, the Lord of the Harvest, will see to it that everyone reaps whatever they sow.

Let’s go back in chapter 11 were Solomon said, "Be sure of this: The wicked will not go unpunished, but those who are righteous will go free." Once again, who is supposed to see to it that the wicked get punished and the righteous go free? God is, not us. Today Solomon drives this message home and teaches us NOT to attempt to take God's place in the repayment business. We have all tasted the sting of bad treatment from wicked people. But we, as believers, are called to operate in love, not revenge.

Solomon's teaching here lines up with Jesus'. Several thousands after Solomon's writings Jesus came on the scene and during His now famous 'Sermon on the Mount' He said: "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you..." (Mat 5:38,39), and He went on to teach about love. Walking in God's love is our highest calling. And no matter what skewed impression of love some may have today, God's love is always quick to forgive and it never seeks retaliation. God's love is one-sided; it is NOT contingent upon the actions of the other party. One-sided love loves, whether the other side loves back or even hates back. One-sided love is determined and conditioned to love because God said so - PERIOD.

It's interesting that Solomon was teaching this because the Jewish Law was in full effect during his time. The Law permitted retaliation, even to the extent of taking someone's life (see Exodus 21:22-27). I am sure that Solomon was aware of what Moses wrote in Exodus, but he was being led of God to teach us about trust, peace, and love.

In Paul's letter to the church in Rome he taught how we - as Born-Again, Spirit-filled, and Christ-centered believers - are supposed to treat others. He said: "Live in harmony with one another... be willing to associate with people of low position... Do not repay anyone evil for evil... If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink... Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good"(Romans 12:16-21). This is not only sound counsel; it is a 'Biblical Mandate.' When someone comes up against you, pray for them. Their poison can't stop our purpose anyway, so don't concern yourself with their poison; concern yourself with their person. Forgive them as you have been forgiven. Have mercy upon them as you have received mercy. Pray for them, as you have been the beneficiary of many prayers.

So what does this mean to you? It means that you have a Biblical Mandate to walk in love and peace with all men. Paul said, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." This means you must do your absolute best to be a peacemaker and not a peace-breaker. Trust me I am having to deal with this personally right now. Be quick to forgive, walk in love, and never seek revenge. Know that God will protect you from every attack of the enemy anyway, so don't allow their poison to be your concern. If you want to focus on anything, focus your attention on praying for those that are coming up against you, and watch as God not only moves in their lives, but He will move mightily in your life when you show Him that you are committed to walking in Love!

Father, I know that vengeance is Yours and You will see to it that we all reap whatever we sow, so I do not concern myself with attempting to make the wicked pay for their actions. On the contrary, I stand in the gap for them. I pray for my enemies. I intercede for those that come up against me. I know that their poison can't stop my purpose, so I don't have any concern or fear about what they can do TO me, but I do have concern FOR them. I ask You to bless them, to soften their hearts, and to show Yourself strong in their lives. Manifest Yourself to my enemies Father, and continue to perfect Your love in my heart! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment