Friday, June 3, 2011

Dangers of Alcohol


Dangers of Alcohol

(Prov 23:29-35 NLT) Who has anguish? Who has sorrow? Who is always fighting? Who is always complaining? Who has unnecessary bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? It is the one who spends long hours in the taverns, trying out new drinks. Don't gaze at the wine, seeing how red it is, how it sparkles in the cup, how smoothly it goes down. For in the end it bites like a poisonous snake; it stings like a viper. You will see hallucinations, and you will say crazy things. You will stagger like a sailor tossed at sea, clinging to a swaying mast. And you will say, "They hit me, but I didn't feel it. I didn't even know it when they beat me up. When will I wake up so I can look for another drink?"

While Solomon has already spoken to us about the dangers of alcohol, these verses present the longest and most articulate warning in Proverbs against drunkenness. Solomon starts off with six rhetorical questions, hoping that the drunkard would see himself in each answer. Unfortunately for me, I know the devastating affects alcohol can have on a person. When I read these questions I don't have to search far for visuals of each. I have experienced the anguish, felt the sorrow, observed the fighting, heard the complaining, and seen the bruises and bloodshot eyes.

My ex husband is an alcoholic. Drinking, along with other vices, wrecked his life while I am not God, I would venture to say that he did not maximize his purpose or potential in life. I too was and alcoholic, I thank God that I was set free and delivered of that awful addiction because I know that when I was drinking I was another person altogether. Unfortunately I hurt a lot of people including my parents and my children. Had I not changed I know that my life, like that of my Ex husbands, would have been ruined by the bottle.

After giving my life to Christ is was a 'no-brainer'. There is no way I can imagine pursuing my purpose and seeking to maximize my potential, while intoxicated. While I don't attempt to make the case that a Christian should never take a drink-because I believe you must have a conviction in your heart about it-there is no question that the Bible is clear that a believer should never be drunk. So if you want to play the "I am going to drink, but not get drunk" game, and you are not convicted of it at all by the Holy Spirit, then that will be between you and God. But make no mistake, alcohol is dangerous. It has wrecked countless lives and it can wreck yours. Like Solomon says, it goes down smoothly, but in the end it bites like a poisonous snake.

So what does this mean to you? It means that you have been warned, by God, Solomon and me. Alcohol can destroy everything both you and God have worked so hard to establish. Is a few moments of intoxication worth taking the risk of the damage it can cause? That's a decision you must make. But also remember this: you are an ambassador for Christ. If you call yourself a believer then people are watching you. That's why Paul said, "Abstain from all appearance of evil" (1st Thes 5:22). If people are following you, then not only can alcohol wreck your life, but it can also wreck the lives of those who are following your example. Take that into consideration the next time you contemplate taking a drink.

Father, I thank You for this warning. Your Word protects me from all sorts of poor decisions. I am convinced that being a slave to alcohol is a poor decision, therefore I decide not to be a slave to anything. Jesus died so that I could be free and I declare that no vice has any power over me. I walk in the liberty wherewith Christ Jesus died to make me free, I abstain from all appearance of evil, I represent You well daily, and I allow Your light to shine through me so that others can come out of darkness and into Your marvelous Kingdom. I don't have to be bitten by the snake of alcohol to make a wise decision concerning it. I learn from You Word, I heed Your counsel, I am led of Your Spirit, and I make a quality decision to do what is right in Your sight. In Jesus' name. Amen!

This is Today's Word! Apply it and Prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment