Monday, January 24, 2011

The Story of Jairus and His Dying Daughter (Part I)



Today's Word


(Mark 5:22-24 NIV) Then one of the synagogue rulers, named Jairus, came there. Seeing Jesus, he fell at his feet and pleaded earnestly with him, "My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live." So Jesus went with him. A large crowd followed and pressed around him.

Since I already introduced you to the woman with the issue of blood, I have decided to introduce you to the man whose house Jesus was enroute to when the woman broke out of her shell and busted into the crowd. As a matter of fact, I will give the context of the entire day. This day was a pretty busy day for Jesus. Jesus began His morning by teaching, in parabolic form, by the seashore of Galilee. After teaching many parables Jesus' disciples pulled Him aside and asked Him for an explanation. They were confused by the stories. After providing the explanation Jesus was led to get into a boat and head to the other side of the Sea of Galilee. While in the boat Jesus took advantage of the opportunity to take a nap (ministry can be hard on the body). While Jesus was napping a tremendous storm erupted, the boat was taking on water, and the disciples thought they were going to die. What was Jesus doing during all of this? He was simply sleeping through the storm (we can learn a lesson from that). The disciples woke Jesus up frantically. Jesus was disappointed by their fear and frustrated by their lack of faith. He simply rebuked the wind and spoke peace to the sea. The wind and sea obeyed His words.

After the storm Jesus and His disciples landed on the coast of Gad, which is where Jesus was led to go. They visited the cemetery where a man who was possessed with a legion of demons was. No one could restrain this man and he was causing all sorts of havoc. Jesus cast the legion of demons out, and just like that (mission accomplished), He was ready to go back to the other side of the sea. Jesus' ministry team got back in the boat and they headed back to the other side.

When they arrived on the opposite seashore a crowd was waiting for Jesus. Although Jesus had already accomplished a great deal in this day His ministry work was not over. The crowd anxiously awaited His return. Some were there because they truly wanted a 'touch' from Jesus, some because they were curious about the miracle worker, and then some were simply there for the fish and the loaves. So the crowd was large, diverse, and ready to see Jesus in action. There is no telling what was going to happen when Jesus was on the scene. So as Jesus came out of the boat and on to the seashore I am sure the anticipation was high when all of a sudden a man busted through the crowd, he threw himself at the feet of Jesus, and he explained how his little daughter was at death's door. As a Mother I can only imagine his pain. He was associated with the religious leadership of he time, but he knew they had no answer for his situation, so he went to the man who posed the greatest threat to his way of life: Jesus the miracle worker; the man whom the Pharisees and Sadducees hated. Jairus had no time to worry about upsetting his friends, his daughter's life was on the line - talk about a stressful situation - and he was willing to do whatever it took to get her breakthrough!

We will stop here for today.

So what does this mean to you? A few things:
1. When you truly trust the Father you can have the peace to sleep through any storm.
2. When you commit to fulfilling your life's assignment you will be busy!
3. When you commit to fulfilling your life's assignment you will face opposition.
4. When you truly need a breakthrough you don't worry about what others will think.
5. The best place to take your issue is the feet of Jesus!

Father, I thank You for giving me the grace to fulfill my life's assignment. Whenever I come up against opposition I remind myself that I am an overcomer and I simply 'come over' the obstacle by faith. I refuse to allow anything or anyone to keep me from arriving at Your expected end for my life. I also understand that bad things do happen to good people, so if I face a serious challenge, I declare, by faith, that I will bring that challenge to Your feet. I will cast the care of it over to You and I will do whatever is required of me, in-faith, to bring about my breakthrough. And I will not allow the concern for what others might think to keep me from coming to You. I am NOT ashamed of my relationship with You! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment