Friday, June 19, 2009


Capturing Human Lives for God!

(Prov 11:30 KJV) The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise.

This morning we continue our series, I often quote this verse when teaching on soul winning (or evangelizing) and the latter part of the verse does emphasize evangelism, but before we get to the latter portion, let’s look at the first portion. Several places in the Bible God likens our lives to trees and the product of our lives to fruit.

For those that live righteously – that make a commitment to live life God’s way – Solomon tells us that our fruit will literally be a tree of life. The term “Tree of Life” is significant, because it is what Adam and Eve had access to, prior to the original sin. The Tree of Life gave Adam and Eve access to eternal life. When they lost access to the Garden of Eden, they lost access to the Tree of Life.

Jesus came to restore that access to us and it has been restored through His Blood. When we accept Jesus as Lord we are Born-Again by God’s Spirit, we become “the righteous,” and we inherit eternal life. This leads us to the latter portion of the text. If we truly believe we have eternal life in Christ, then we should want to share that Good News with those that don’t.

However, the world does not openly welcome the message of the Gospel. For us to lead them to Christ we must have the wisdom of God. In addition to the traditional methods of teaching, preaching, street witnessing, and door-to-door evangelism, the Body of Christ today is using the internet, social networking sites, podcasts, streaming content, updated music (like contemporary Christian, Christian rap, Christian rock), Television, radio, and any other means we can use to win souls for the Kingdom.

Solomon was right when he said, “He who wins souls is wise.” It takes God’s wisdom to reach some of the people that will simply not come through tradition means.

The Amplified Bible translation of this verse says, “The fruit of the [uncompromisingly] righteous is a tree of life, and he who is wise captures human lives [for God, as a fisher of men – he gathers and receives them for eternity].” I like that – capturing human lives for God! Paul was excellent at this. He traveled around making a difference in the lives of people; capturing human lives for God. In his first letter to the church at Corinth he gives us some insight into his attitude towards soul winning. He said, “I am free. I don't belong to anyone. But I make myself a slave to everyone. I do it to win as many as I can to Christ. To the Jews I became like a Jew. That was to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one who was under the law, even though I myself am not under the law. That was to win those under the law. To those who don't have the law I became like one who doesn't have the law. I am not free from God's law. I am under Christ's law. Now I can win those who don't have the law. To those who are weak I became weak. That was to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that in all possible ways I might save some” (1st Cor 9:19-22).

What an awesome attitude! He met people on their level. He spoke to them in ways that they could understand. He never condemned them for where they were, but rather led them to a better way. Paul was a master soul-winner and we can and should learn from him.

So what does this mean to you? A couple of things:

1. Every believer has a responsibility to share the Good News of the gospel. You don’t have to know a litany of scripture, just simply tell your story; give your testimony. If you don’t know what to say, ask God for wisdom (James 1:5). It takes His wisdom to win the lost.

2. Don’t’ speak against what you do not understand. If a church or a group of believers is using an untraditional method, don’t speak against them; they may be led of God. Remember, God is the ultimate innovator and He bestows wisdom upon His people lead the lost to Him.

Father, I thank You for giving me eternal life through Your Son, Jesus the Christ. I know the Joy of my Salvation, therefore I want to share that Joy with others. Give me the wisdom that I need to win souls for You. I want to make a difference for Your Kingdom. Also, I refuse to speak against what I do not understand. I celebrate with those that are using innovative methods for You. I will use the wisdom that I have, for the methods that I know, and I celebrate with those who are using creative ways for You! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment