Monday, June 1, 2009


The Power of the Pipe

(Prov 11:17 TNIV) Those who are kind benefit themselves, but the cruel bring ruin on themselves.

In this verse Solomon contrasts those that operate in kindness (and thereby benefit themselves) with those that operate in cruelty (and thereby bring ruin upon themselves. This message flows in the same vein as the last one where Solomon said, “A woman who has a kind heart gains respect.”

I have shared with you before that the word kind means: being disposed to do good to others; having tenderness or goodness of nature. We know that Jesus was our ultimate example and He was kind. He was disposed to do good to and for others. He was always on the lookout for ways TO BE a blessing. The Good News Bible translation of this verse says, “You do yourself a favor when you are kind. If you are cruel, you only hurt yourself.”

I once heard the analogy of the reservoir and the pipe. No matter what room I am in, I try to imagine that God had a huge reservoir of water just above the ceiling of the room and that the water represents God’s Blessing. I then I try to imagine the room filled with people. God has His Blessing above the room and there are people in the room that want to be blessed. The problem is that there is a space between the Blessing (that God wants to release) and the people (who want to receive the Blessing).

Oftentimes God is looking for someone to bridge the gap between the two. When we become that person, when we yield ourselves to be used of God to bless someone else, we become like a pipe that connects to the ceiling.

When we allow God to use us, we literally become the conduits through which He is able to Bless someone else. The water – or really, the Blessing – flows through us and upon the people. That way, God is pleased, because He wanted to bless the people; and the people are pleased, because they wanted to be blessed.

Now, you may be thinking, “But what about me?” I became the pipe. I became the conduit. I became the vessel. Yes, you are right, and this is where this verse comes in. I close out the analogy by saying; “The water can’t pass through the pipe, without the pipe getting wet too!” Glory to God! I call this the Power of the Pipe. It’s a reminder that when we allow God to use us TO BE a blessing, that we also get blessed. This verse tells us that when we are kind, we literally benefit ourselves.

The Lord, through Isaiah, told the Israelites: “Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.” That is sound counsel and it sounds like the Godly thing to do. But wait; there is a blessing in store when you operate this way.

The next verse says, “Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the LORD will protect you from behind” (Is 58:7,8). If you seek TO BE a blessing, you will always have the Blessing flowing in your life.

So what does this mean ? It means that you should seek TO BE a blessing to someone today. As you allow God to use you as the conduit through which He can bless someone else, you will find that the Blessing will flow freely in your life. I did not say much about the opposite, but I don’t have to. I am sure you know from personal experience that those who are cruel, mean-spirited, and hurtful towards others reap exactly what they sow. Don’t allow that to be you. Be a blessing, not a burden, to someone else today!

Father, I surrender myself to be used of You today. Use me for Your glory. Use me as a conduit through which Your Blessing can flow. Use me to make a positive impact in the life of someone else. Here I am Father, use me. I will be the kind, caring, and thoughtful person You need me to be today and others will see You in me, as I seek TO BE a blessing. You and me Father, let’s make a difference today! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment