Thursday, June 18, 2009


Ministering to Your Family

(Prov 11:29 KJV) He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart.

This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon gives us a proverb about managing our own home. I know the King James version seems a bit confusing, especially the part about inheriting the wind. Basically, what it means is that those who choose to stir up trouble in their own homes will eventually be left with nothing.

An empty wind will be their reward. The Good News Bible translation of this verse says, “Those who bring trouble on their families will have nothing at the end. Foolish people will always be servants to the wise.” The latter part of the verse is a reminder to us all that failing to apply Godly wisdom will keep us under those that do.

We all want to get ahead in life, but if we continue to make foolish decisions, the sad reality is that we will never get there. We are where we are today, because of the decisions we have made in the past. We will be where we will be tomorrow, because of the decisions we make today. The bottom-line is that our life is a grand-sum-total of our decisions. Make foolish decisions and you will always be a servant to those who choose wisely. Treat your family foolishly and you bring nothing but destruction upon yourself!

It is a sad commentary, but I know many Ministers of the Gospel that focus so much on being a blessing to others that they neglect their own families. I read a story about a preacher that is writing a book entitled, “How I allowed Ministry to Wreck my Marriage.” He was so focused on ministering to others that his marriage fell into disrepair. He wound up getting a divorce, but by the grace of God (and thankfully) he and his wife have remarried and he has a new found appreciation for the importance of his family.

What would I gain if I were a hero to others, but a zero at home? I often say, “My first ministry is to my family!” I am currently My family is my responsibility and if I neglect that responsibility I will be accountable to God.

The Bible is full of Godly instruction for managing one’s household. God’s Word instructs us to train up our children in the way that they should go (Prov 22:6), to never exasperate or trouble them, but to instruction them in the way of the Lord (Eph 6:4), recognizing that children are a heritage and a reward from the Lord (Psalm 127:3).

The Word also tells husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church (Eph 5:25). It tells wives to willingly love and support their husbands (Eph 5:22). And I could go on and on. The message is clear: we are to sow seeds of harmony and not discord into our family, remembering that we will reap whatever we sow.

So what does this mean? It means that you should honor and respect your family. Recognize the blessing you have in your family and never mistreat those that the Lord has blessed you to be connected with.

Honor your spouse – build them up and never tear them down. Protect and instruct your children – lead them in the way that they should go and live a Godly example before them. Be a blessing to your family. Never neglect them for the pursuit of fortune, fame, or the recognition of others. Will it really matter if you climb the corporate ladder, only to find yourself all alone at the top?

When you walk in Godly counsel you can have success within and without the home! One without the other is NOT God’s best.

Father, I thank You for blessing me with my family. I declare, by faith, that I will never neglect my family. I will pray over my decisions and judge my decisions based upon Your Word, that way I know that I am making Godly decisions that will enable me to sow seeds of harmony and not discord. I want to experience the success You desire for me to have, but I don’t want to lose my family in the process. I will honor my family and I know that You will honor me. Success – within and without the home – that is Your best for me and that is what I pursue. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment