Thursday, June 25, 2009


Receiving Your Due, Here on the Earth

(Prov 11:31 NIV) If the righteous receive their due on earth, how much more the ungodly and the sinner!

Thank you for your prayers.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon reminds us of a truth that many seem to overlook, and that is that we will all receive our due here on the earth. I know (and I hope that you know) that we will all be judged some day. We will all stand before God’s judgment and be judged based upon whether or not we received Jesus as Lord and then what we did with our lives. But eternal judgment is not the only judgment.

Judgment occurs all the time. Solomon reminds us that we (the righteous) will receive our due here on the earth. The Contemporary English Version (CEV) translates this portion, “Good people are rewarded here on this earth.” You can’t have reward without judgment. Our actions are constantly being judged. God created a system of laws and principles – sowing and reaping, cause and effect, and the free will of humans – that governs the earth.

So, not only WILL we be judged some day, but our actions are regularly judged and we are either rewarded or punished accordingly. Jesus did not come ONLY so that we could make it to heaven; He also came that we might enjoy abundant life NOW (see John 10:10). However, most of God’s promises are conditional. If we fulfill the condition, we receive the reward. If we don’t, we miss out. If you don’t like the harvest you are reaping, check the seed you are sowing. At the end of the day, we are where we are, because of the decisions we make. This means we cannot blame God and we should not blame others. This takes us to the latter portion of the text.

After reminding us that we will receive our due here in the earth, Solomon says, “How much more the ungodly and the sinner!” The CEV translates this portion, “All who are cruel and mean will surely be punished.” What does this tell us? It tells is that the system of sowing and reaping, of cause and effect, works for everyone.

Just like we are constantly being judged, they are as well. I believe Solomon wrote this as a reminder to us that we are NOT the judge. God will see to it that the ungodly and the sinner will receive their reward (or punishment). If anything, we should pray for them and ask God for mercy on their behalf, but we should concern ourselves will attempting to be judge and jury for God.

No matter what people do to you, your job is to forgive them and pray for them. God will see to it that they get there due, here in the earth. Don’t attempt to do God’s job. And remember, their poison can’t stop your purpose! No matter how much they come up against you, trust God to protect you from every unrighteous attack.

So what does this mean ? A few of things:
1. God will make sure that you receive your due here in the earth. He wants you to make it to heaven, but He wants you to enjoy the ride as well!

2. If you don’t like what is happening in your life, you must change what you are doing.

3. God will ensure that the ungodly and the sinner receive their reward or punishment. That is NOT your job. If you want to do anything for the ungodly, pray for them.

4. Trust God to shield you from every attack. No matter who comes up against you, believe God to be your shield and your fortress! If God is for you, who can be against you?

Father, I thank You for the reminder this morning that my life is a grand-sum-total of my decisions. I know that You want me to make it to heaven, but I also know that it is Your desire that I enjoy my life here in the earth.

Jesus came that I might have and enjoy overflowing and abundant life. I declare that I want the life You want me to have. I make the right decisions and I receive the right results. I know that the ungodly will receive their reward or punishment and I will not inject myself into the process. I will pray for them and commit them unto You. I know that their poison cannot stop my purpose, therefore I am not afraid of what man can do to me. I trust in You and I know that You are my everlasting fortress – protecting me from all harm! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment