Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Avoiding Stupidity and Forging Ahead




(Prov 15:21 KJV) Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.


This morning we continue our current series, Here Solomon gives us yet another antithetic proverb. These are proverbs that contain a parallel arrangement of contrasting ideas. Solomon contrasts the man who possesses Godly wisdom (who walks upright) with the man who lacks it altogether (who thinks foolishness is fun). The God’s Word translation makes it very clear; it reads:

“Stupidity is fun to the one without much sense, but a person who has understanding forges straight ahead.”


Let’s think about what the Lord, through Solomon, is telling us this morning. There are some people who truly enjoy foolish, idiotic, and senseless activity. These are people who somehow get a great sense of satisfaction from activity that requires no thought. They don’t like to think, plan, project, or consider their ways. Life is just ‘one big joke’ to people that live this way. However, the sobering reality is: life is not a joke.

Am I saying that we should not have fun? Absolutely not! I have lots of fun and when you walk by faith and live in God you will have and enjoy an abundant life full of pleasure. But my point is that we were all born on purpose and with a purpose. It was never God’s intention for us to aimlessly wander our way through life. The Father desires for us to find, follow, and finish our purpose before we die.

It has been my experience that the people described in this text as foolish are people who make a decision to avoid the weightier matters of life. They don’t like to consider the weightier matters of life, because it will mean that they have to grow up and make some changes. However, the fact that they are ignoring the reality of the eternal consequences of their decisions does not change the fact that their ‘Day of Reckoning’ will come. We will all have to give account for our actions, so whether we acknowledge that now, or push it to the back of our minds, our day of accountability is inevitable.

So what does this mean to you? It means that you should be like the other person Solomon refers to in our text, the person who understands his purpose and makes a decision to forge straight ahead towards it. While the Father does want you to enjoy life, there is much more to life than just playing around.

Don’t be like the fool who thinks his actions don’t matter. Carefully consider your life. Think through the consequences of your decisions. Face every challenge with the assurance that God knew – before the foundations of the world – that you would face them and He equipped you to do so. Since you know God will not allow you to face something you cannot handle (1st Cor 10:13), then the mere fact that you are facing it means that He has confidence in you to deal with it. So no matter what you face this morning, face it knowing that your heavenly Father trusts you with it.

Be the man/woman in our text who has understanding and FORGES STRAIGHT AHEAD – BY FAITH!

Father, I thank You for blessing me to read, receive, believe, and apply Your Word. The more Word I have down inside of me, the more I develop in Your wisdom. The more I develop in Your wisdom, the more I am able to confidently consider my ways, without condemnation. I know my actions have consequences and I don’t avoid that reality. I give careful though to my life, my purpose, and the meaning behind all that I face. As I enter this day I know that You are on me, in me, with me, and for me. You are more than the entire world against me. I forge straight ahead, by faith, and I shall NOT be moved from the path that will take me to Your desired destination for my life! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment