Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Honoring Your Heavenly Father and Earthly Parents




(Prov 15:20 CEV) Children with good sense make their parents happy, but foolish children are hateful to them.



As we get back to our current series, “Unlocking the Power of Proverbs – Walking in the Wisdom of God,” we pick up where we left off. In this verse Solomon repeats something he taught back in chapter 10. I have already shared with you that chapters 1-9 of the book of Proverbs were Solomon’s introduction. After giving us such a lengthy introduction, he starts off chapter 10 with these words:

“These are Solomon's proverbs: Wise children make their fathers proud of them; foolish ones bring their mothers grief.”

He uses almost the exact same language here in chapter 15 and it is obvious that Solomon believed this was worth repeating. I, for one, am glad that he did, especially with the culture of our youth today. The moral fabric of our society has been deteriorating for years and with the constant bombardment of worldly input like MTV, BET, YouTube, TMZ, and etc., many of our youth can’t help but rebel against their parent’s and their parent’s teaching. What’s in you abundantly has to come out of your eventually. The enemy has attacked our youth through the aforementioned means and if we, as parents, are not careful, we will experience the grief Solomon mentions in his teachings.

There is no doubt in my mind that David was a proud father. It is blatantly obvious to me that David’s teaching made a great impact in Solomon’s life. Back in chapter four Solomon said:

“My father taught me, “Take my words to heart. Follow my commands, and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them” (4:4,5).

David parented Solomon to become the next king and Solomon submitted to the process. Parenting requires effort on both sides (parents and children). Here Solomon talks about the children and how they should react (in obedience) to their parent’s teaching. But this assumes that the parent did their part.

A Father must do more than just have children. He raises his children to become mature adults. It is a painful, costly, time consuming, life draining, stay up all hours of the night type of relationship. It is not always a joyful experience for the Father or the Son. The cost is everything a Father has within him. The benefit is a son who will honor his Father.”

Once the parent does their part, they can fully trust God (and believe) that their children will walk in the way of the Master. The children, then, must make their choice: to walk in wisdom and make their parents proud, or to ignore Godly counsel and cause their parents grief.

So what does this mean to you?
I believe the message is clear. To the parent it means that you must do your part to make the impartation in your children that the Father desires and requires of you. To the child it means that you must do all that you can to honor your parents. A life of obedience and wise conduct will bring them joy and peace, a life of disobedience and contempt will bring them grief. Why would you want to cause grief in the people who brought you life?

Honor your heavenly Father by honoring your earthly parents today.

Father, I thank You for teaching me to honor my parents with a life of obedience and wisdom. I respect my parents and my family name enough to align my life with Your Word. I make decisions that bring glory to You Father and to my earthly parents. By doing so, I know that I am sowing good seed and that I will reap a good harvest. My children will arise and call me blessed My children will walk in the blessing of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Jesus, and [your name here]! I leave a legacy of righteousness, because of the life that I live and the teaching that I give! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment