Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Trusting God


Resisting Pride

(Prov 15:25 MSG) GOD smashes the pretensions of the arrogant; he stands with those who have no standing.

This morning we continue our current series, In this verse Solomon reiterates an ever-important message to the believer and that is: God is against the proud. Even the best of us can cross the thin line from confidence to arrogance from time to time. As believers we must maintain a balance between God's desire for us to maintain a healthy opinion of ourselves (a positive self-image) with our reliance on Him. While God is not pleased when we have a low self-esteem, He is even more upset when one of His children take their self-worth to the opposite extreme and operate in pride.

Back in chapter three Solomon said something that was so important that both Peter and James in the New Testament repeated it. They all said, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble" (see Prov 3:34, 1st Peter 5:5, James 4:6). Read that again. This is not saying that God simply dislikes the proud. No, this is saying that He will take an active position against them. God will go out of His way to ensure that the proud are brought down.

Our text tells us that He will smash the pretentions of the arrogant. Why is Jehovah so vehemently against the proud? It is because the proud have taken the position that they can do what they do with their own ability. The proud put themselves above God; they put their own importance and excellence above Jehovah. The proud are saying that the creation can operate without the Creator and the Creator takes issue with that.

Job crossed this line and it caused Jehovah to ask him a series of questions. God asked, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you know so much. Who kept the sea inside its boundaries as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick darkness? I said, 'This far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves must stop!' Have you ever commanded the morning to appear and caused the dawn to rise in the east? Do you realize the extent of the earth? Tell Me about it if you know! Where does light come from, and where does darkness go? Where is the path to the source of light? Where is the home of the east wind? Who makes the rain fall on barren land, in a desert where no one lives? Can you direct the movement of the stars? Can you direct the sequence of the seasons? Do you know the laws of the universe?" That's just an excerpt from Job 38, but I believe you get the point. We all need God. Only the proud, in their arrogance, believe that they don't.

Solomon also tells us in this verse that God will stand with those who have no standing. The original language (Hebrew) actually refers to widows here. A widow, in the Old Testament, represented a person in desolation and quite possibly despair. A woman without a husband or sons stood all alone, vulnerable to attacks. But God makes it clear that He would protect them. Jehovah would establish a hedge of protection for them that could not be penetrated. Moses said,

"God makes sure orphans and widows are treated fairly, takes loving care of foreigners by seeing that they get food and clothing" (Deut 10:18).

So what does this mean to you ? Two things:

1) You never want to get to the point where you think you don't need God, and

2) Even when you feel all alone, your heavenly Father will be there for you, to protect you and keep you all harm.

Father, I thank You for the reminder this morning. I develop and maintain a positive self-image. I will never allow myself to have a low self-esteem, but I will also never get to the point where I think I don't need You. You are the source of my strength. You are the strength of my life. I need You, I rely on You, and I walk with You every day of my life. Even when I am forsaken by others, You are there for me. You are my shield, my protection, my strong tower, my fortress, my God and I trust in You. I resist pride and I look to You for protection, power, and peace! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment