Thursday, April 29, 2010

Divine Words




(Prov 18:4 NLT) Wise words are like deep waters; wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook.


In this verse and in a few of the upcoming verses Solomon gets back to the importance of our words and the impact they can have on others. Yesterday I told you that the Father wants us to develop in His wisdom so that we can be the salt and light He desires for us to be. Solomon himself is a great example of that. The Bible says that

“God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore. Solomon's wisdom was greater than the wisdom of all the men of the East, and greater than all the wisdom of Egypt. He was wiser than any other man… He spoke 3000 proverbs and his songs numbered 1005… Men of all nations came to listen to Solomon's wisdom, sent by all the kings of the world, who had heard of his wisdom” (1st Kings 4:29-34).

Men came from all over the world, on their own accord, to listen to Solomon. Furthermore, kings sent people from their royal staffs to glean as much as they could from Solomon. Why? In one sense we could say, “Hey, this was just one man. Sure, he was a smart man, but still just a man.” However, the difference is that this was a man that was speaking the wisdom of God. So when Solomon spoke God spoke through him. Was it God? Yes. Was it Solomon? Yes. It was Solomon cooperating with God. It was God operating through Solomon. This is a great picture of what CAN happen if we allow the Father to use us for His glory.

There are two things I want to highlight from this verse:
1. Divine words have levels of understanding. Solomon says, “Wise words are like deep waters.” At the end of the day we are talking about sharing words with others, but not just any words, words that have been birthed out of our relationship with God. These words are like deep waters. Deep waters can be deceptive. While they look settled and serene on the surface (like there is not much to them), upon further review we realize that we can do deeper and deeper (level upon level of understanding) into them. God’s Word is divine. When you first read a verse you get one level of understanding. You can read the same verse 10 more times and get 10 more levels of understanding. The more you ‘peel back the onion’ the more you realize that God’s wisdom is deep and that it can have continuous impact.

2. If you develop in Godly wisdom you will always be ready to share and make an impact. Solomon went on to say, “Wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook.” While deep waters appear serene and stable, a bubbling brook is ever active; there is never a dull moment. The lesson here is that if we allow the Father to develop us in His wisdom we will always be ready to say what needs to be said so that others can hear what they need to hear. This is exciting stuff. The bubbling brook is always lively and this is a picture of how we can be, once we get God’s Word and His wisdom down inside of us to the point where it is always flowing out!

So what does this mean to you It means that the more Word you get down inside of you, the more God can get out, for His glory. And it means that the words you do speak will be divine words, so they will have lasting impact. Divine revelation is so powerful that people can still be riding off of something God said to them, through you, years later.

Father, I thank You for giving me an awesome example in Solomon. Solomon was used of You mightily, but he was no superman. What you did for and through him, you can do for and through me. I declare, by faith, that I will do my part. I will read and study Your Word so that I can get Your divine truth down in my heart. As I do, and as I develop in Your wisdom, I know You will begin to use me to share divine words with others. When I do, I believe those words will have lasting impact and You will be glorified. I know You speak to men through men and I submit myself to be the channel through which You speak to others today and every day. Thank You Father for giving me revelation and for sharing it through me for Your glory! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment