Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Names of God



(Ex 3:14 BBE) And God said to him, I AM WHAT I AM: and he said, Say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.



In biblical times your name was supposed to be connected to your character, attributes and nature. That is why God changed people’s names. For example, He changed Abram’s name to Abraham, which means: Father of many nations. Whenever he introduced Himself as Abraham, he was saying something about himself; he was agreeing with God’s opinion of Him.

Along this same vein, many Old Testament prophets gave names to God. This helped them understand God and who He is. When something significant happened they gave God a name that corresponded to what He did.

This way others could better understand the God they worshipped.

The better they came to understand the names the better they knew God. let me give a list of the names and a quick summary. Please read each name so the Father can speak to you about how He can be each of these in your life. God is:

• El Shaddai: (Gen 17:1) The All Sufficient One / Almighty God
• El Elyon: (Gen 14:18-20 ) The Most High God
• Adonai: (Is 6:8) Our Master
• Jehovah: (Ex 3:14) The Lord of the already, right now, and not yet (past/present/future)
• Jehovah-Nissi: (Ex 17:15 ) The Lord our Banner and Battle Ax
• Jehovah-Rohi: (Ps 23) The Lord our Shepherd
• Jehovah-Rapha: (Ex 15:26) The Lord our Healer
• Jehovah-Shammah: (Eze 48:35) The Lord that is Present with us
• Jehovah-Tsidkenu: (Jer 23:6) The Lord that makes us Righteous
• Jehovah-M'kaddesh: (Lev 20:8) The Lord that Sets us Apart
• Jehovah-Jireh: (Gen 22:14) The Lord our Provider
• Jehovah-Shalom: (Jud 6:24) The Lord our Peace
• Jehovah-Sabaoth: (1 Sam 1:3) The Lord of all Armies
• El Olam: (Is 26:4) The Lord that lasts Forever
• El Gibhor: (Ps 24:8) The Mighty God
• El Roi: (Gen 16:13) The Lord that Sees us in Every Situation
• Elohim: (Gen 1:1) Our Creative God

The more we understand these names the more understand God and the better we get to know Him. The more we know Him, the more we will trust Him. The more we trust Him, the more He will interact with us and manifest His glory in our lives. The more He does that, the more we can become the vessels through which He blesses others in the earth and this should be our goal!

So what does this mean to you? It means that we are learning that God can be everything for us and through us if we allow Him to be. Everything you need is wrapped up in Him. God is involved in everything you have been, are right now, and will be in the future. He is the author and finisher, creator and sustainer, all-and-all in your life, but you must recognize Him as such. If you are not walking in the blessing it is not because God is not willing to bless you, but rather because you have not taken the time to get to know Him and walk in His ways.

Renew your commitment today to learn God more and to walk with Him every day of your life!

Father, You are everything to me! I make a commitment to know You more this year and apply what I learn to my life. My reading leads to learning. My learning turns into living. My living leads to blessing. My blessing allows me to be the conduit through which You bless others. I submit and surrender myself to You and You alone. Reveal Yourself to me in new ways and use me for Your glory. I am available to You Lord! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment