Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Knowing when to Listen




(Prov 18:2 GNB) Fools have no desire to learn; they would much rather give their own opinion.

This morning we continue our series entitled, “Unlocking the Power of Proverbs – Walking in the Wisdom of God.” Solomon has already taught us a great deal about choosing our words wisely and thinking BEFORE we speak. Here Solomon gives us some context. No matter who you are – rich or poor, black or white, foolish or wise, you will have opportunities to learn from others. Later in Proverbs Solomon teaches us that both wisdom and foolishness can be transferred by association (13:20). For the purposes of today’s lesson let’s just focus on the positive side (the wisdom).

It is true that we can learn a great deal from others, especially from the wise. The Father has blessed me to be in the company of many wise men and women over the years. I have held conversations with numerous Pastors (ministry), and Corporate/Business leaders (marketplace).

No doubt, I believe the Father has blessed me with a level of insight, wisdom and understanding that I can pour into others. When I am in a position where the Father connects me with someone He wants me to pour into, then I do most of the talking. I don’t have a problem with that and I actually enjoy it.

But Solomon’s point is that there are times when you need to keep your mouth shut and listen. On those occasions in which I am with a person that is an expert in a field that I wish to develop in, then I simply allow them to pour into me.

As believers we must know when to talk and we must definitely know when to simply listen.

I have walked away from many conversations thinking, “Wow, that was awesome.” And I have learned a great deal. But what if I would have allowed my mouth to be stuck in the “ON” position? I would have missed a golden opportunity to receive.

“The double trouble of the fool is his closed mind and open mouth.”

Don’t be the fool. When the Father blesses you to be before great men and women, keep an open mind, a closed mouth and a willingness to receive!
This way you will maximize the opportunity and the Father will bless you with more.

So what does this mean to you? A few things:
1. Know when to talk and when to listen. Never monopolize a conversation with someone the Father has put in your path to teach you.

2. Learn as much as you can, from all that you can, while you can.

3. Remain humble enough to acknowledge the fact that you don’t know it all.

4. Only speak about those things you know about. Don’t attempt to ‘fake it,’ because sooner or late you will be exposed.

5. Allow others to pour into you the things that they have learned.

6. When given the opportunity, pour into others the things that have been poured into you. This way you maximize the investment others have made in your life.

Father, I thank You for opening doors for me that bring me into the presence of great men and women. As You bring me before them, I declare, by faith, that I will maximize every opportunity. I will listen much more than I speak and I will allow the giants you have placed in different career fields to pour into me and to invest in my future. I soak up the wisdom like a sponge and I apply it to my life. This way I am able to develop into the person You desire for me to be. I never stop learning. While I am living I am always growing, developing and maturing. And Father, I also thank You for the golden opportunities to pour into others all the tings that have been poured into me. Others have invested in my life and I will return the favor by investing in the lives of others. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment