Friday, April 9, 2010

Your Words





(Prov 17:28 GNB) After all, even fools may be thought wise and intelligent if they stay quiet and keep their mouths shut.

This verse flows in the same vein as the last. Solomon clearly understood the importance of our words and he wrote a great deal about it. I am sure Solomon learned a thing or two about this from his father David. David said,

“I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked” (Psalm 39:1).

Solomon and David were careful to go give thought to everything they said. Why? Because their words carried weight. As kings, the words they spoke came from a position of authority. What they said was very important. They had the power to sentence someone to death with just one word. Because of this power, they could not simply going around speaking foolishness. But since they carefully considered everything they had to say, then when they spoke, people reacted. The point is that we should use our tongue productively.

If you talk too much you will invariably speak many idle words. Idle words are useless and unproductive words. People that babble all day long can’t help but speak idle words, because they never take the time to carefully think through what they are going to say. Not only will these people allow their mouths to get them in trouble here in the earth, but they will also have to give account for their words when they stand before God.

Jesus said, “And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak” (Matthew 12:36). I will highlight a few reasons why we should carefully consider the words we speak:

1. You and your words are one: You cannot disassociate yourself from your words. Once you say something, then good or bad, people will associate you with what you said.

2. Your words expose the content of your heart: What comes out of you is an indication of what is in you. Jesus explained that our words flow from the abundance of our heart (Matthew 12:34). No matter what external façade you put up, your words tells us who you really are.

3. Your words obligate you to action: If you are a person of integrity (and I hope that you are), then once you commit yourself to something (with your words) you are committed. The Bible teaches us that if we vow (or commit) to do something, then we must do it.

4. You have power: This is quite possibly the most important reason. Just like kings David and Solomon, you have power. You may not sit on an earthly throne, but you have been given dominion, authority, and power over the kingdom of darkness. One of the ways you communicate (exercise) that power is through words. If you don’t even believe the words you say, then why should God and His angels or satan and his demons? But if you believe what you say and you speak faith-filled words, then heaven will back you up and you will begin to be used of God for His glory!

So what does this mean to you? It means you should take the time to be very deliberate in what you say. This is a sign of maturity. James said: “All of us do many wrong things. But if you can control your tongue, you are mature and able to control your whole body” (3:2). In other words, if you can control your tongue, you can control your life. The righteous, Godly, and mature believer places the right level of emphasis and thought behind what he or she is to say, to whom, for what purpose, and with what goal. If you carefully consider your words you will find yourself speaking less; but you will also find that the words you do speak will have more meaning.

Your words will be more effective and you will be able to get more done.

Father, I heed Your counsel this morning. I keep my mouth shut when I don’t have anything productive to say. When I do open my mouth to speak, it will be because I have carefully considered what I need to say and how I need to say it. I will speak with authority and conviction, because I will say what I mean and mean what I say. Since I give my words importance, then You will as well. Heaven will back me up when I speak, hear me when I pray, and respond to me as I operate as an ambassador for Your Kingdom here in the earth. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment