Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Get Back Up Again!




(2 Cor 4:8,9 NLT) We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.

This morning we continue by continuing to discuss Paul: his life and his teachings. Since I have started this series I have talked to many believers who are facing significant challenges. I guess that could be said all the time, but it seems like the challenges have been highlighted lately. Since I am teaching on this I have been able to share many of the life-lessons from this series and it has truly been a blessing. Moreover, in each and every situation the person was able to look back and realize that they had grown because of the experience.

Now, I am an advocate for challenges? No way. I am convinced that the Father does not need to put us 'through the fire' to teach us something. He is more than able to teach us through apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (Eph 4:11); through the Holy Spirit and through His Word. However, the enemy is the one that constantly seeks to attack us and God then takes those attacks and turns them around for His good.

Paul's life is a vivid example of a person who came up against tremendous opposition, only to persevere through it so that God's purpose could be accomplished. We have been walking through this passage for a few days and this morning we get to the last phrase where Paul said, "We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed." Was Paul knocked down? Many times. Was it always a pleasant process? Absolutely not! Did he sit there and blame God? No! Did he sit around and wallow in pity? No. So what did Paul do? Every time the enemy knocked him down, he got up, dusted himself off, and kept on going. Other translations of this phrase read:

"We are knocked down. But we are not knocked out" and "When we are knocked down, we get up again."

I am convinced that the enemy is frustrated when we refuse to quit. The devil tries his best to get us to the point where we throw in the towel. The sad reality is that many believers crumble under the pressure and they do give up. However, for those of us (you included) who are determined to keep going, there is a blessing waiting for us on the other side of the storm. You can believe that!

Solomon said, "No matter how many times you trip them up, God-loyal people don't stay down long; Soon they're up on their feet, while the wicked end up flat on their faces" (Prov 24:16). Solomon's father David said, "The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. If he stumbles, he's not down for long; GOD has a grip on his hand" (Psalm 37:23,24).

Notice that Paul, David and Solomon all give us a picture of Godly people stumbling, but getting right back up again. The enemy's attacks may be partially successful, but the only way they can be fully successful is if we allow them to. Just as long as we are determined to get back up again, the enemy will never truly triumph over us. The prophet Isaiah said to the Israelites:

"No weapon that is used against you will succeed" (Is 54:17).

Notice that he did not say that the weapon would not be formed and he didn't even say that it would not be employed. However, he did say that it would not succeed!

So what does this mean to you ? It simply means that you must be determined to get up after every 'knock down' experience in life.

The only way you can truly lose is if you allow yourself to stay down.


Father, the more I read this series the more my faith is stirred and the more my resiliency is built up. I am fired up for today. I am convinced that no weapon formed against me will truly succeed. It may be formed and it might even be used against me, but it will not succeed because I won't allow it to. Even when the enemy knocks me down, I refuse to stay down. I will get up, dust myself off, and continue on in my pursuit of Your Purpose. I am determined to die empty. I will arrive at Your desired destination for my life, before I die, and I won't allow anyone or anything to keep me from getting there! Thank You Father for walking WITH me every step of my journey. In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment