Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Awesomeness of God!!



(Prov 20:27 NLT) The LORD's light penetrates the human spirit, exposing every hidden motive.


This morning we continue Unlocking the Power of Proverbs. Here Solomon teaches us about God's sovereignty, alluding to God's omniscience as he tells us of our Heavenly Father's ability to peer deep down into our inner most being. Yes, you might be able to fool others with an outward façade. Actually, I would venture to say that a good portion of society puts up a façade in order to mask who they really are. But there is no hiding from God. When God examines us, He does not look at our outward man - our physical strength, beauty, adornments (or lack thereof) - He looks at the heart (1st Sam 16:7). Jehovah examines us from the inside out. He looks past the 'outward face' we present to others and He looks at our true nature.

Other translations of this verse describe the fact that God uses our human spirit as a lamp that illuminates our inner man to God. Here is an example: "The human spirit is the lamp of the LORD that sheds light on one's inmost being." Your human spirit is the real you. You ARE a spirit, you posses a soul (comprised of your mind, emotions, and will), and you live in a temporary earthly body. Therefore, it stands to reason that when God wants to examine you He goes directly to core of who you are - your spirit.

In Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth he said, "No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit" (1st Cor 2:11). In context, Paul was teaching about the awesome power of the Holy Spirit and how God actually gives us His Spirit so that we can know what He is thinking. But while it was not the crux of his writing, Paul does make it clear that no one can know another person's thoughts (or intent), unless they have access to that person's spirit. While this is humanly impossible, it is clearly God-possible. God has direct access to each and every one of us. No one can hide from His eyes. He sees us all and He sees all of us.

So what does this mean to you? It means that this reality should cultivate our:
1. Godly fear: Not the type of fear that brings torment and timidity, but rather the type of fear that prompts us towards reverential respect. Someone asked the question: "If Jesus followed you around all day and heard everything you said, saw every place you went, and did everything you did WITH you, would you do anything different?" Most people's reply is "Yes!" However, if you are a Born-Again then God is already with you 24 hours a day, every day of your life. You should respect His presence and purpose in your life enough to live like He is there!

2. Godly comfort: On the other hand it is awesome to realize that you are NEVER (and I mean NEVER) alone. You should find comfort in knowing that our heavenly Father will never leave nor forsake you. He is there WITH you as you read this and He will be WITH YOU and FOR YOU ever second of every day of your life. Isn't that an awesome reality? And guess what? He knows everything you have ever done and He still loves you. Who would not WANT to serve a God like that?

Father, I thank You for the reality of Your presence, purpose, and power. I understand that You understand everything about me. It has occurred to me that nothing ever occurs to You. You know everything there is to know, about me and otherwise, and You still love me. For that I simply say, "Thank You!" I seek to honor You with my life and living. I seek to bring You glory. I know You walk with me everywhere I go, therefore I declare, by faith, that I will not take You places You should not be. I will not grieve You by disrespecting Your presence. I lay everything at Your feet. Every part of my life is naked and open before You. Cleanse me, purge me, purify me, and use me for Your glory! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment