Monday, November 1, 2010

God does not take Vows Lightly



(Prov 20:25 NIrV) A man is trapped if he makes a hasty promise to God and only later thinks about what he said.

This morning we continue in the book of Proverbs. Here Solomon teaches us the importance of our words. I have taught several Bible studies, and have taught numerous times in this forum on the importance of our words. When you come to God in prayer, don't you want Him to listen to what you are saying and to respond to your words? Don't you want angels to go on alert when you bring a petition before heaven? I hope you do. But the sad reality is that heaven won't respond to your words if you prove them to be untrustworthy. If you don't even believe what you are saying, then why should heaven?

People have cheapened their words by using them incorrectly - not saying what they mean or meaning what they say - and by failing to follow through with the obligations their words committed them to. Here's a novel idea in today's society: if you promise to do something, you should actually DO it. The importance of this is magnified when God is involved in the equation. If you vow something to the Lord, or before the Lord, then He actually expects you to live up to that promise. So it would serve you well to carefully consider what you say and what obligations you take on (with your words) BEFORE you do so.

The Message Bible paraphrase of this verse reads: "An impulsive vow is a trap; later you'll wish you could get out of it." But the sad reality is that you can't. I know that in today's society you can vow to commit yourself to someone for life, but then change your mind the next week, and society seems to accept that.

Guess what? God does not. Once you commit yourself to something, especially when it includes a vow to the Lord, you are committed!

Moses taught: "When you make a vow to the LORD your God, be prompt in fulfilling whatever you promised Him. For the LORD your God demands that you promptly fulfill all your vows, or you will be guilty of sin. However, it is not a sin to refrain from making a vow. But once you have voluntarily made a vow, be careful to fulfill your promise to the LORD your God" (Deut 23:21-23). In the 30th chapter Moses reemphasized this, saying, "A man who makes a vow to the LORD or makes a pledge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do" (Deut 30:2). The language Moses used is strong and the message is loud and clear!
In Ecclesiastes Solomon drives this home again, saying: "When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands?" (Ecc 5:4-6).

So what does this mean to you t? A few things:
1. It is much better NOT to vow, than to make a vow to God and then not fulfill it.
2. God expects you to live up to the obligations you voluntarily took on. If you don't, He will hold it against you as sin.
3. Don't let your mouth take you where your character can't keep you.
4. Pray BEFORE making a vow to anything or anyone - especially when God is involved.
5. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Your word must be your bond!

Father, I thank You for this reminder. For my words to be important to You and to Your angels, I know they must first be important to me. I declare, by faith, that I will carefully think through every obligation and also pray, before I take any on because once I voluntarily commit myself I know I will be committed before You and You will hold me to those commitments. Instead of my words becoming a liability, I declare that they will be an asset. I will line up my words with Your Word, I will season my speech with Your grace, I will only commit myself to those things I can fulfill, and in so doing I will enjoy Your grace on all that I say and all that I put my hands to do! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment