Monday, November 22, 2010

Don’t be a Nagging Wife



(Prov 21:9 CEV) It's better to stay outside on the roof of your house than to
live inside with a nagging wife.

This morning we continue in the book of Proverbs. While Solomon's delivery sounds funny, there is a profound message here if we would take the time to understand it.

Back in chapter 18 Solomon said, "The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the LORD" (18:22). There is a stark contrast between the favor magnet of chapter 18 and the nagging wife of chapter 21. Both are wives, but one is able to bring out the best in her husband, the other has a knack for bringing out the worst; resulting in her husband preferring the corner of the roof to her presence. I would hope that my husband doesn’t feel this way about me. To be perfectly honest I am sure he has felt this way about me a few times. So yes this is a scripture that I must keep close to my mind so that I never become the nagging wife.

It has been said that every man has both a king and a fool in him, and which ever one is spoken to more, which ever one is nurtured and developed, that will be the one he becomes. I can say, without a doubt that I have spoken to the king in my husband and call him my king. Not only that I believed in him when no one else did; and he knows that I am his biggest fan. Ladies, never underestimate the power of believing in your husband! When he knows that you believe in him it gives him wind beneath his wings. Even if the world is against him, he can feel unstoppable if he knows that you believe in him and that you support him.

Most of the time, whatever I teach to women applies to men as well and vice-versa, but in this case I believe that men, need the unyielding support of their wives. Now, of course as wives we also need the support of their husbands. I am not saying that we don't. But I am saying that what husbands receive from wives, by way of belief and support, far outweighs what husbands do for them in like manner. That's why it is so devastating to a man when he has a wife who does not believe in him. And to make matters worse, Solomon describes a wife who takes it a step further and constantly nags her husband. This is a dangerous situation for the marriage, because before long her husband will dread coming home. He will look for someone who speaks to the king in him and not he fool in him.

So what does this mean to you? A few things:
1. For wives: Speak to the king in your husbands. The more you speak to the king in him, the more he will believe it and become it.
2. For husbands: Welcome the support of your wife and allow her to speak into your life. She is graced by God to minister to you in ways that NO ONE ELSE CAN, OR SHOULD!
3. For husbands and wives: Never make your spouse dread coming home. Do all you can to make your home a nurturing and loving environment where dreams are encouraged and believed!

Father, I thank You for this revelation. Your Word is awesome and it shows me how to live and enjoy life to the fullest. I thank You for my spouse and I declare, by faith, that I will be the blessing to them that You desire for me to be. I speak life and never death into my spouse daily. I build them up and I never tear them down. You grace me to minister to my spouse in ways that I only I can and only I should. My spouse welcomes my input because I always share it in a loving and caring way. I never make my spouse dread coming come. Our home is a sanctuary of peace where dreams are encouraged, believed, and supported! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment