Friday, November 19, 2010

Can People tell the difference?



(Prov 21:8 NASB) The way of a guilty man is crooked, But as for the pure, his conduct is upright.

This morning we continue "Unlocking the Power of the book of Proverbs - Walking in the Wisdom of God." Here Solomon contrasts the crooked ways of the sinner with the pure ways of the believer; the point being that there should be a stark different between the two. The word "crooked" in this text means twisted or wicked (like whickered, e.g. whickered furniture).

People without God can live twisted lives without even recognizing it. The enemy can blind the eyes of the wicked to the point where they truly believe that wrong is right and right is wrong. Back in chapter two Solomon said that these people, "Take pleasure in doing wrong, and they enjoy the twisted ways of evil. Their actions are crooked, and their ways are wrong" (verses 14 & 15).

Have you ever met someone whose ways - their common way of doing things - was twisted? Satan is a master of deceiving people into believing that they are on the right path when they are clearly wrong and because many are deceived, they use their natural passion to live life in the wrong way; directing their energy and effort towards things are not promoting Godly good. Many of these people take pleasure in doing wrong because their moral compass is skewed; it is calibrated towards wickedness to the point that they enjoy twisted ways.

I know I keep using words like "right" and "wrong" and these words are almost taboo in today's society. I have gotten into many conversations with people who try to tell me that there is no right or wrong. They like to believe that we are just different. They want to find solace in thinking that living in sin is not wrong, but just their choice. They shun away from anyone who believes in an absolute right. Why? Because they realize that if the Bible is right, then they are wrong and they just don't want to come to grips with that.

Many living in sin take pleasure in it. I know I was a good sinner. When I was a sinner I did my best to live like one. So it would be foolish of me to expect a sinner to live like a believer. A person that is not redeemed, that has not been Born Again, that does not have God's Spirit living on the inside of them, and that does not ascribe the truth in God's Word is simply not equipped or positioned to live a life that is pleasing to God. That's why we must share the truth of the Gospel with the lost. But Solomon's point this morning is that if we can agree that sinners live twisted lives, then we must also agree that believers should not! There should be a clear difference between the sinner and the believer. We should not be twisted. Our compass should not be calibrated towards unrighteousness. Our perspective should not be perverted. Our desires should be pure. Our hunger and thirst should be towards righteousness. And our conduct and character should be representative of the God who claim we serve; the same God who lives in us and we in Him.

So what does this mean to you ? A few things:
1. There should be a clear difference between your conduct (as a believer) and the conduct of sinners.
2. There are only two things the Bible says God is: Light and Love. If you claim to be in God and Him in you, then you must walk in the light (not darkness) and walk in love (not selfishness), this way people will know who your God is.
3. There is no such thing as an undercover Christian. If you no one knows you are a Christian, then it is time to take self-inventory. You don't have to go around screaming "Jesus, Jesus;" your conduct and character should be enough. Your life (not just your words) is the best sermon!

Father, I thank You for the reminder this morning. I recognize the fact that I have been called out of darkness and into Your marvelous light. I know that I have been translated from the kingdom of dankness into the Kingdom of Your dear Son Jesus. I am in You and You are in me. I am born of God and I am not ashamed of it. I declare, by faith, that my conduct and character will represent You all the days of my life. People will know the God I serve. People will be able to see a clear difference between my life and the life of a sinner. You are light, therefore I am light and I abstain from darkness. You are love, therefore I am love and I abstain from selfishness. You flow through me today and every day! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment