Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Planning



Prov 22: NLT Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty.

This morning we continue our series in the book of Proverbs.

Solomon was running a kingdom with a billion dollar surplus at the time of this writing. The Blessing of the Father was operating in his life and on the nation. No one could say that Israel was not experiencing supernatural favor. Other nations knew that Israel was blessed BECAUSE of the overwhelming success the nation and it's citizens experienced.

So now, the questions is, did they have anything to do with it? Was Solomon and his kingdom Blessed because of God's goodness alone or did was God working with them, because they were honoring Him and following His principles? Or let me ask the question another way, do you have a role in your success? Do your actions have anything to do with your prosperity (physically, spiritually, socially, financially)? I think you know the answer, but most of us don't want to acknowledge it. Of course we have a role. Of course our actions matter. Just look at the nation of Israel as an example.

If you read Chronicles and Kings you will see the success of the nation go up and down and it was always based upon the decisions of it's leader and citizens. When the leader and people honored God and did what He said the nation was blessed, when they did not they were not. Was God still God? You better believe it! God was God the entire time, but their success was largely contingent upon their willingness to cooperate with the God they claimed they served.

Don't mistake this teaching, however, to negate in any way the grace of God. There are times when God blesses us in spite of our foolishness. Believe me, I have experienced that type of grace, mercy, and favor more times than I can count. We serve a GOOD God and we should never forget it. However, we should not tempt His goodness by continually ignoring His Word, will, and way; and then still expecting His blessing to flow in our lives.

Now, you may be thinking, "Okay, so what does this have to do with our text for today?" It actually has a lot to do with it. Solomon is explaining how we must be deliberate in our pursuit of success. Don't think that once you become a Christian that everything is magically going to be alright and that you don't have to work hard anymore. I am convinced that many Christians are looking for 'abra cadabra' (for magic), because they don't want to put in the work required for Godly success.

In chapter 10 Solomon said, "Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth" (v.4), and in chapter 13 he said, "The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied" (13:4). There is no way around it, if you want to experience success (physically, spiritually, socially, and financially), then you are going to have to do your part and work for it. Now, if you do it God's way you will experience His favor on everything you put your hand TO DO. But you if you don't put you hands TO DO anything, then you are not giving God anything to bless.

So what does this mean to you? A few things:
1. Receive: Pray, seek God, and then receive and lay out your plan/vision. If it's from God it's going to be BIG - too big for you to accomplish without Him.
2. Do: Be clear about your plan and then work the plan. Do your part in your destiny. God has gifted you, but it is up to you to put those gifts in motion!
3. Become: What you believe YOU must be determined to become!

Father, I thank You for blessing me to receive vision for my life and with the vision also the insight, wisdom, revelation, and knowledge to do my portion to bring it to pass. I know the vision is too big for me to accomplish without You, so I am definitely relying on You to do Your part, but I also know that You will expect me to do whatever You equip me to do. I declare this morning that I will. I believe You for great things and then I step out in faith to accomplish those things for Your glory. I am determined to become what I believe. I dream big dreams. I receive and lay out diving plans and then I work the plan with the full confidence that You will favor all that I put my hands TO DO! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment