Friday, November 5, 2010

Leading in Love



(Prov 20:28 NLT) Unfailing love and faithfulness protect the king; his throne is made secure through love.


This morning we continue in the book of Proverbs – I like to say that going through this book we are “Walking in the Wisdom of God." In the New Testament, when writing to his spiritual son, Paul said, "First, I want all of you to pray for everyone. Ask God to bless them. Give thanks for them. Pray for kings. Pray for all who are in authority. Pray that we will live peaceful and quiet lives. And pray that we will be godly and holy" (1st Tim 2:1,2).

Why did Paul instruct Timothy to pray for kings and those who were in authority? Because he understood that there is a connection between ruler and people. The ruler has the ability and the authority to make decisions for the people and their decisions influence the people's lives. Solomon also understood this; even more so because he was a king himself.

Solomon understood the fact that he was clearly in authority. Later in Proverbs Solomon said, "Show me a righteous ruler and I will show you a happy people. Show me a wicked ruler and I will show you a miserable people" (29:2); once again driving home the connection between ruler and people.

There is no question in my mind as to whether or not Solomon understood the fact that he was in authority. Most leaders clearly understand the span of control they have. Being in authority is not normally the issue. The issue comes when someone wants to be IN authority, but not UNDER authority. It's dangerous to have authority without accountability. Everyone who leads should also have someone who leads them. This way you have no problem exercising authority, because you also understand the importance of submitting to it.

This leads us to our verse for this morning. Solomon teaches us here that those in authority should acknowledge the God that blessed them to be there, to the extent that they seek to emulate God's character as they seek to fulfill the duties of the office wherewith they have been charged. Since God is love (1st John 4:8 & 16) and since all authority comes from Him (Rom 13:1), then all those in authority should seek to walk in love, in order to please the God that put them there. Leaders who displease God by mistreating His people can quickly find themselves out of a job.

To really get this message, let's read this verse from a few different translations: The Contemporary English Version: "Rulers are protected by God's mercy and loyalty, but they must be merciful for their kingdoms to last;" the Message Bible: "Love and truth form a good leader; sound leadership is founded on loving integrity;" and the Good News Bible: "A king will remain in power as long as his rule is honest, just, and fair."

I will use an example of Godly leadership in my own personal experience.
My leader is Margaret Deemer recently I had something that I felt that I wanted to. Fortunately for me I needed her signature along with other’s to proceed in this plan. When I approached her with the idea she simply asked me why I felt lead to be involved in this. I explained my reasons to her and she simply said “did you pray about it and what did God say?” She knew immediately in her spirit that this plan of mine was not God’s plan. But she love me through it and she plated a seed in my heart. A few week later God spoke to me loud and clear that this was a Paulette idea and not a God idea. He hold me I was right were He wanted me to be and it followed up but three profits that told me the same thing as He told me. When I went back to her and shared with her of my decision not to follow through with my ideas. She said Praise God I was praying that God would show you that you are right were He wants you to be. Wow!!! She knew if I followed through with this it would impact my ministry and the people that I am leading. I know that in my group I am in authority but I am still under God and Margaret’s authority. Margaret did not judge me when I wanted to make a bad decision she loved me trough it and prayed me through it. She Lead me in love and that is how I lead my group and why we have been successful.


So what does this mean to you? It means that as a leader you must:
1. Realize that your decisions directly impact the lives of those you lead.
2. Acknowledge the fact that your authority has been given to you by God.
3. Recognize the face that while you are IN authority, you are also UNDER authority.
4. Seek to emulate the character of the God who gave you the position.
5. Lead in love. If you maintain love your position will be maintained and you will continue to experience Godly success. Love is God's highest requirement!

Father, I thank You for blessing me to be able to lead and for giving me such an awesome leader. I declare, by faith, that I will lead in love. I seek to emulate You in every area of my life and especially in those areas and ways that impact the lives of others. You have been merciful to me, therefore I will be merciful to others. You have been kind to me, therefore I will be kind to others. While I refuse to be a pushover, I also refuse to be a person who continually stirs up strife. I become the example and the conduit of Your love that You need me to be. I impact my sphere of influence with Your love, light, and wisdom. You have blessed me TO BE a blessing and I WILL be just that, in the earth, all the days of my life! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment