Tuesday, November 2, 2010

You are Destined!



(Prov 20:24 TNIV) A person's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand their own way?
This morning we continue our series entitled, in the book of Proverbs. We are doing a verse-by-verse study of the book of Proverbs and somehow I skipped over verse 24 yesterday. Today we will go back and address it.

Have you ever wondered why you were born? I am sure you have. The pursuit of purpose is the foremost pursuit of most people's lives. I was born in Maui Hawaii, and was raised in a cultural mixing pot, was saved from and during many incidents that could have easily taken or ruined my life, and seemingly randomly moved to California. Moving to California I got an even greater opportunity to mix with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds and a few years after I moved here I gave my life to Christ. It was only then that I started to realize the 'method to the madness' my life's path had taken.

The Lord began to show me how He had been grooming me all my life for my life's assignment. I did not know it I as I was growing up, but my life's assignment would involve bringing racial and cultural reconciliation to the Body of Christ. If you have ever attended one of my Life Group meeting women of all ages and all different races and cultures.
Solomon asked the question, "How then can anyone understand their own way?" That is a good question. I know I could not understand my own way without God and neither could any Biblical character or anyone alive today for that matter.
Jeremiah, for example, had an experience with God where God explained to him that before he was ever born he was destined to be a prophet. Jeremiah was intimidated about the awesomeness of the responsibility. Standing before people and speaking for God is not to be taken lightly. Jeremiah was afraid, but the Lord calmed His fears and said, "Look, I have put My words in your mouth!" (Jer 1:9). In other words, it's like God said, "Son, calm down. To be a prophet you need to be able to speak my words, so since I have destined you to be a prophet, then I am obligated to fulfill my part of the deal. Here, here are my words and I have placed them in your mouth. I have done my part, now all I need you to do is yours." After this experience Jeremiah's life was never the same. He found his purpose and he sought to fulfill it. I could teach an entire series on this verse alone, but I will stop here for today.

So what does this mean to you? Lots of things, but here are just a few:

1. Without God your life will not have true meaning.
2. It's only when you come to Christ that you begin to understand your purpose and potential.
3. If you prayerfully look back over your life you will see God's hand every step of the way.
4. Once you are in Christ you must find, follow, and then finish your purpose before you die.
5. Once you start praying for things that line up with your purpose you will see God answer those prayers quickly. He is not obligated to give you what is not yours to have.

Father, You are awesome. I was born by Your grace and Your divine providence. I am no mistake. I am here for a reason and as I spend time with You in prayer I know that You will show me how You have been involved in my life every step of the way and also how You desire to use me for the remainder of my life. I will find, follow, and finish my purpose. I will die empty. I will get OUT of me all that You have placed IN me while I am in the land of the living. I refuse to die full of purpose and potential. I am excited about my future because You have already seen it and You are a part of it! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment