Monday, April 27, 2009


Increase – God’s Way!

(Prov 10:22 NIrV) The blessing of the LORD brings wealth. Trouble doesn't come with it.

This morning we continue our series, In this text Solomon contrasts those that gain wealth through God’s blessing (living life God’s way), with those that pursue wealth without it (the world’s way).

First of all let me clarify that this verse is referring to material wealth. I hope you understand that spiritual riches are far greater than materials riches, and being rich in the Kingdom of God – His righteousness, peace, love, and joy – should be our ultimate aim. However, in this verse Solomon is teaching us about material riches; which by themselves are not bad. Remember, having money is not the problem; it’s when money has you that you fall into a trap; the trap of thinking that money is that answer to all of life’s issues.

Young’s Literal translation of this verse says, “The blessing of Jehovah -- it maketh rich, and He addeth no grief with it.” Today’s New International Version says, “The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, without painful toil for it.” If we look at all three translations we can see that the Blessing of God upon our lives can open the door to wealth. The caveat is that when we walk in the Blessing – when we lives pleasing to God – we can attain material wealth, but we can do so without the trouble, grief, and painful toil that can accompany the ill-gotten gain of those that seek increase the wrong way.


Once again, let me be clear, the Lord does not want us to be poor. We have already learned that the Lord is against poverty. Later in Proverbs Solomon says, “A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children” (13:22). The Father wants us to be able to be a blessing to our children and their children, but we can do that without forsaking God in the process. Those that seek riches without God may work hard, but their labor often seems in vain. In the 127th Psalm we see how hard it can be to work without the blessing. The Psalmist said, “Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat…” (Ps 127:1,2).

So what does this mean? It means that the Father wants you to be financially secure, but He wants you to do it His way. When you pursue financial security His way, you can have more than enough to meet the needs of every situation, to give to every charitable work, and to leave and inheritance for your children; all without the grief that comes from attempting to do it without God. When your priorities are right, everything else falls into place.

Father, I thank You for teaching me how to profit Your way. I honor You with my finances. I give, as You lead me. I work diligently and faithfully. I respect authority and promote the vision of my superiors. I do all that I do for Your glory. Therefore, Your Blessing is upon the work of my hands and You cause me to increase Your way. I declare, by faith, that I have more than enough to meet the needs of every situation, to give to every charitable work, and to leave and inheritance for my children’s children! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment