Friday, April 3, 2009

A Refusal to Correct is a Refusal to Love


A Refusal to Correct is a Refusal to Love


Paulette Fraticelli


(Prov 10:10 NLT) People who wink at wrong cause trouble, but a bold reproof promotes peace.


In this text Solomon contrasts those who see something wrong and ignore it with those that seek to do something about it. When I read this I think of the Military. The military culture is one of standards and values. Solider are to adhere to a certain way of life. If their conduct does not line up with written regulations and time-honored military traditions it is said that their conduct is "unbecoming" of an officer or non-commissioned officer. They are expected to live, act and perform a certain way. There are many storied and movies about the corruption in the Military

Solomon calls this "winking at wrong." He explains to us that those who wink at wrong - who laugh at it and gossip about it, instead of confronting it - are guilty of causing trouble. Soldiers have an inherent responsibility to not only live up the standards, but to enforce them.


Now, you may be thinking, "Were you going with this? I am not a solider nor am I in the military." I beg to differ we are all in God’s army if we are born again believers I would hope that you are a Christian. If you are, then you have an inherent responsibility to love your brothers and sisters in Christ enough to confront them (in love) when you see them doing wrong. Don't talk about them behind their backs.

Don't laugh about their shortcomings. If you love them, like you should, then you should pray for them. If after praying you are led by God to speak to them about it, then please do so. Allow God to use you as the tool through which He can bring correction to his child. If you are not led by God to speak to them, then fine, don't; but don't speak to ANYONE else about it either.


This reminds me of the often quoted, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" scripture. This quote comes from Proverbs 13:24. The Message Bible translation of that text says, "A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; love your children by disciplining them." Another good passage to reference on this topic is found in Hebrews where the writer said, "Don't feel sorry for yourselves... have you forgotten how good parents treat children, and that God regards you as his children? My dear child, don't shrug off God's discipline, but don't be crushed by it either. It's the child he loves that he disciplines; the child he embraces, he also corrects.

God is educating you; that's why you must never drop out. He's treating you as dear children. This... isn't punishment; it's training... We respect our own parents for training and not spoiling us, so why not embrace God's training so we can truly live?" (Heb 12:5-9 MSG).

The first scripture was a reference to parent-to-child relationships. The second was a reference to God-to-child relationships. The principles that apply to those relationships also apply to peer-to-peer relationships. If you love your brothers and sisters in Christ (and you should), then you should share the truth in love. A refusal to correct is a refusal to love.


So what does this mean? A few quick things:

1. Don't get upset when someone is trying to help you. Receive correction and grow!

2. Love your neighbor just as they are, but love them too much to leave them that way.

3. If your neighbor does something you like, tell someone else. If you they do something you don't like, TELL THEM!

4. Use your mouth to build up and never to tear down.


Father, I am my brother's keeper. I love my brothers and sisters in Christ too much to talk about them. If I see something in them that is not like You, then I will pray for them. If you lead me to, I will talk to them and become the tool through which You can bring correction to them. Whatever I do, I will do it in Love! You are love and You love me enough to correct me. Likewise, I love them enough to correct them, if that's what You lead me to do. And if I am the person that needs correction, then I declare, by faith, that I will accept the correction in love. I will not get upset with the person You use to correct me! I welcome correction, so that I can grow! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment