Thursday, April 23, 2009


Your Words Matter

(Prov 10:19 NIrV) Those who talk a lot are likely to sin. But those who control their tongues are wise.

In this text Solomon contrasts those who talk a lot with those who control their tongues.

The Bible has a great deal to say about the words of our mouths many Bible-based books have been written on the subject, and the topic gets addressed from pulpits all over the world on a regular basis. After studying the topic for quite some time I believe it all comes down to two major points:

1. What comes out of you is an indication of what is in you (got this from Carol Cobb). Jesus explained that our words flow from the abundance of our heart (Matthew 12:34). This means that we are connected to our words and our words are connected to us. If a person routinely speaks foul language he will be known as a foul person. You cannot disassociate yourself from your words.

2. Words have power. The old adage sticks and stones… words will never hurt me, is simply not true. Words can build up or tear down. Abusive words can ruin a person’s life, just like positive and affirming words can prepare them for success and victory.

Solomon understood the importance of words. As the wisest man to ever live (outside of Jesus), he knew that wise men choose their words carefully. Later on in Proverbs Solomon said, “Those who have knowledge use words with restraint” (17:27).

I am sure Solomon learned a thing or two about this from his father David. David said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked” (Psalm 39:1).

Why so much care? Why so much concern about words? Because God knows that where a great deal is said, without care and forethought, many idle words – and possibly many lies – will be spoken. Idle words are useless and unproductive words. People that speak a lot are people that can’t help but speak idle words. Since they are speaking all day long, they never take the time to carefully think through what they are going to say.

People that live this way will invariably allow their mouths to get them in trouble (here in the earth) and more importantly, they will have to give account for their words when they stand before God. Jesus said, “And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak” (Matthew 12:36).

So what does this mean to you ? It means you should choose your words wisely. If you take the time to be deliberate in what you are going to say, you will find yourself speaking less; but you will also find that the words you do speak will have more meaning. Your words will be more effective and you will be able to get more done.

The same can be said of written communication. Today many communicate via email as much, or more than, they do over the phone. I have found that those who write long emails are simply not as effective as those who are clear, concise, and to the point.

Whether written or oral, say what you mean and mean what you say. In so doing you will show others that your words matter to you, and consequently they will also matter to them!

Father, I heed Your counsel, I submit to Your teaching. I will control my tongue and choose my words wisely. I declare, by faith, that before I communicate – either oral or written – I will carefully think through what I want to say. My words will communicate careful, clear and concise thoughts that will accomplish what I send them out to do. I fill my heart with good things and out of the abundance of my heart, my mouth speaks; speaking life, not death; blessing, not cursing; victory and never defeat! Father, may the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart, be acceptable in Your sight today! In Jesus’ name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment