Friday, April 17, 2009

The Right Attitude About Money


The Right Attitude About Money

(Prov 10:15 NIrV) The wealth of rich people is like a city that makes them feel safe. But having nothing destroys those who are poor.

In this text Solomon contrasts the hearts of the rich with those of the poor. I read this verse in several translations before I got started. I feel led to share a couple of other translations with you. The Contemporary English Version says, “Great wealth can be a fortress, but poverty is no protection at all.” The Good News Bible says, “Wealth protects the rich; poverty destroys the poor.” As I prayed over this verse I received to major nuggets from it and I will share them with you. I believe this verse provides:

A warning against poor financial management: What Solomon states is absolutely true, wealth does provide a level of safety. Solomon was well qualified to talk about wealth. When Solomon was taking over as King of Israel and he had a conversation with God. In that conversation Solomon explained his concerns to God. To address his concerns, God told Solomon to ask for whatever he needed. Instead of asking for material things, Solomon asked for wisdom. God was pleased with his request and said, “Since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom… wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have" (2nd Chron 1:11,12). Many scholars believe Solomon was the richest man to ever live. As king he was able to observe the lives of the wealthy, as well as the poor. He knew (first hand) that wealth could buy a certain level of security, while poverty, in many ways, leaves the poor exposed. As believers we should be prudent in financial matters. Making poor financial decisions can have devastating results.

2. A warning against having the wrong attitude: I often say, “There is nothing wrong with having money, just as long as money does not have you.” The other danger I get from Solomon here is the danger of receiving the wrong attitude from either wealth or poverty. Many rich people make the mistake of trusting in their riches. If the current US economy has taught us anything, it is that money can come and go. Later on in Proverbs Solomon said, “The rich think their wealth protects them; they imagine themselves safe behind it” (18:11), but we know that their wall of safety can come tumbling down. So those with wealth should thank God for it, and seek to manage it wisely, but their ultimate trust should be in God. On the other end of the spectrum are the poor. Even worse than the pride that money can cause the wealthy to have is the low self-esteem that the lack of money can cause the poor to have. Poverty is a terrible thing I have seen people seemingly incapacitated by the suffocating power of poverty. They work hard, but they never see a way out. Solomon says, “Having nothing destroys those who are poor.”

So what does this mean to you ? It means you must maintain a healthy perspective concerning money. Money makes an excellent servant, but a poor master. If you are wealthy, resist pride. If you are poor, know that you can get out. Either way, trust God!

Father, I thank You for blessing me with physically, mentally, psychologically, socially, and financially. I will use money as a tool for Your Kingdom. I ask You, Father, for wisdom concerning my finances. Help me to be a fiscally responsible son. As You do, I declare, by faith, that I will maintain the proper attitude. I will remain humble and I will trust You every day of my life. My life is in Your hands. Lead me and I will follow. Teach me and I will execute. Use me and I will bring Your glory! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment