Tuesday, April 14, 2009


Love covers a Multitude of Sin


(Prov 10:12 NIrV) Hate stirs up fights. But love erases all sins by forgiving them.


At first glance this text seems like a clear-cut comparison between love and hate – and ultimately, it does compare the two – but the real comparison Solomon is making is in the area of one’s response to evil. He is highlighting the fact that as believers we should respond to the evil done wrong to us in a different way than the world.


Love was the central theme of many of Jesus’ messages and He, more than anyone, taught us (by precept and example) how to respond to evil. It is too easy to repay evil with evil, but when you are able to repay evil with good, that’s when you know that God has wrought a change in your life.


In Matthew chapter 5 Jesus acknowledged that the Old Testament taught, “An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth” (Lev 24:19,20). The issue was not what the Law taught, but rather what He was teaching. He came to show us a new way – a loving way, a caring way, a forgiving way. Jesus went on to say, “You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Bless those who curse you. Do good to those who hate you. Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:43-45).


Did you catch that? True children of God walk in love. True children of God do not keep a track record of the wrong things done to them. True children of God have mercy upon those that transgress against them. True children of God know that love is our highest calling and forgiveness, our Godly mandate.


Paul was both the recipient and the disperser of forgiveness. He personally persecuted the church and he knew that he needed forgiveness for that. He came to God, received forgiveness, and then sought out to forgive, as he had been forgiven.


In his letter to the church at Colossae he taught them how forgiven believers should live, saying, “Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony” (Colossians 3:12-14). As believers we should not walk around with a root of bitterness, but rather with the oil of joy – quick to forgive, to let go, and to move on!

So what does this mean? It means you have a choice. You can either respond to evil with evil (making you no different than the world), or you can respond to evil with love (making you an example of God in the earth). Which will you choose? I know personally that it is a liberating thing when I release the wrong done to me. Not only does it free me, but it also frees the person who transgressed against me.


The Bible is full of evidence that proves that God expects us, as recipients of forgiveness, to forgive. Forgiveness helps mend broken relationships, heal broken hearts, and it provides a covering for the wrong done. I will close with the words of Peter: “Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins” (1st Peter 4:8).


Father, I have been forgiven, and I declare, by faith, that I walk in forgiveness all the days of my life. I don’t keep a record of the evil done to me. When people mistreat me, talk about me, and seek to come up against me, I earnestly pray for them. I pray that Your love would permeate their hearts. I know that their poison can’t stop my purpose, so I am not concerned about the attack against me. I am, however, concerned about the attacker. Use me as an intercessor. Use me to pray for them, to release Your best in them, to be the tool You use to bring about a change in their lives. Just as You have released me of all the evil I did, I release them, I forgive them, and I love them with Your unconditional love. I enter this day full of Your love and ready to forgive! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

This is Today’s Word! Apply it and Prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment