Thursday, July 30, 2009


Do Not Worry!

(Prov 12:25 NLT) Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.

This morning we continue our series, in this verse Solomon contrasts the destructive affects of worry, with the positive impact encouraging words can have on people. I often say that worry is a form of negative meditation. Biblical meditation is powerful. Spending time meditating on God's Word, His promises, His wisdom, His opinion of us, and His desired end for our lives is awesome. Meditating on His Word feeds our faith (Rom 10:17) and starves our doubts.

That's why the Bible tells us to meditate on God's Word day and night (Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1). But just like meditating on God's promises can build us up, meditating on negative situations can tear us down. Uncontrolled negative thoughts can lead to psychological, physical and emotions problems. They create an instability that can be damaging to the person and everyone around them.

Solomon makes it plain when he says, "Worry weighs a person down." Instead of sitting around thinking about the problem and telling your God how big your problem is, why not sit around and think about you God, so that you can tell your problem how big your God is?It is clearly NOT God's will for us to worry. The Bible has a great deal to say about it.


Let's take a look at what John MacArthur said on the subject: "Jesus categorically prohibited worry in a familiar portion of the Sermon on the Mount-Matthew 6:25-34. Three times in that short passage He commanded, "Do not worry!", and the way He said it shows the comprehensiveness of His charge. In verse 25 He acknowledges worry as a common practice and says, "Stop worrying;" in verses 31 and 34 He uses the same word, but in a way that means "Don't even start worrying." To continue worrying about anything, or to start worrying in the first place, is to violate the Lord's command... When you worry, you are choosing to be mastered by your circumstances instead of by the truth of God... When you worry, you are not trusting your Heavenly Father."


Jesus also said, "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" (Mat 11:28). It is simply NOT God's will for His children to walk around burdened, frustrated and disillusioned. Paul said, "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything... Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand" (Phil 4:6,7). Peter said, "Turn all your worries over to him. He cares about you" (1st Peter 5:7). Another translation of that same verse says, "Cast all your cares upon Him, because He cares for you." So, instead of carrying your cares around, you should simply cast them to God. Turn them over to the Father. When you do that, you will be free to be the example of peace and love He desires for you to be.So what does this mean to you? It means that the Father needs you to be worry and stress-free, so that you can be the witness He needs you to be.


If all people see in you in stress, struggle and strain; pain, pressure and problems, then how will you ever draw them to God? He needs you to be encouraged, so that you can speak the encouraging words to others that will pull them out of their discouragement!

So don't sit around today meditating on your problems, meditate on the promises of God, build your faith, cast your cares upon God, encourage yourself, and then go out to encourage others!


Father, I meditate on the right things. I fill my mind and my heart with Your Word and Your promises. I know You love me. I know that You will not allow me to face what I cannot handle. I know that by Your grace I can overcome every obstacle - by faith. I know that I am destined to win. I know who I am and whose I am. Therefore, I refuse to worry. I don't carry care, I cast it! I turn it over to You. I encourage myself in the Lord and after doing so, I seek to encourage others by speaking life into them. I do all this by faith and with Your help! Use me Father me be light in someone's darkness today! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment