Thursday, July 9, 2009


Genuine Concern for all Life

(Prov 12:10 Darby) A righteous man is concerned for the life of his beast; but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon contrasts the way that the righteous and the wicked treat their animals. The translation I chose uses the word "beast," whereas modern translations use the word "animal." For example, the New International Version says: "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel." WOW!!

My thinking was that most people today, when they read, "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal," immediately think of a pet. In all fairness to Solomon, in his day it was uncommon for people to give animals names, to dress them up with human-like clothing, to get their nails done, hair groomed, and to treat them like a child; a part of the family. Some people today treat their pets better than they treat their own children.

When I grew up in Hawaii, I had a lot of pets through out the years however they were never house pets nor did we ever take them to the groomers or dressed them up. In fact many times we came home to a dinner only to find out that we were eating our pet. NO it was not a cat or a dog. I grew up in a farm like setting we had lots of different animals chickens, cows, pigs, donkey, horses, rabbits to name a few. So I can comment as a pet owner or a pet-lover.

I believe it is necessary for us to disavow ourselves from our modern treatment of pets, to get the true message, in context. In Solomon's day animals were used for their utility. Some, like donkeys, mules and horses were beasts of burden. They were used to transport people and equipment. Others, like oxen, were used for their tremendous strength. Farmers yoked up oxen together to pull farming equipment that would help prepare the ground for sowing. And then, of course, there were the animals that produced food, like the chickens (eggs), cows and goats (milk).

Life out there was simple, but it was awesome and it afforded me the opportunity to work with animals. I helped my family farm land, I rode horses, milked cows, and tried not to get the chickens too riled up as I attempted to pick up the eggs. I can understand what Solomon is saying. I watched as my Father sought to treat the animals well. He made a conscious effort to provide the animals water, sufficient food, and to simply not overwork them. He taught me to understand the value of the animals and to treat them accordingly.

Solomon tells us that a righteous man is so compassionate that he is not only concerned with the lives of other humans, but he has a genuine concern for his animals. Since his heart is in the right place, he simply treats all life well.

He does not mistreat an animal, just because they are not human. The reason I had to disavow us from our modern connection to pets is because most people are emotionally tied to their pets. But Solomon is teaching us that even if the animal is not a pet, even is the animal is a beast of burden, even if the animal is simply used to work the fields, even if we have no emotional connection with the animal whatsoever, we still need to treat it with respect; that's what the righteous do.

The wicked, on the other hand, even their kindest acts are considered cruel by our standards. The wicked are so wicked (twisted) that they can't seem to treat anyone - human or animal - with dignity and respect.

So what does this mean? It means that when God softens your heart you inherently seek to be a blessing. You are never out to do anyone, or anything, any harm. You are so accustomed to treating others with dignity and respect, that you even show compassion and genuine concern for the animals of the field.

Please remember that as you enter this day. If the Father expects you to have a genuine concern for animals (and He does), then how do you think He expects you to treat the people you are going to come in contact with today?

Father, I thank You for softening my heart towards all life. I would not mistreat an animal, much less a person. I seek to BE a blessing, not a burden, everywhere I go. I have a genuine concern and compassion for all those I come in contact with. Father, use me today to be an example of Your love, light and mercy in the earth. Use me for Your glory! In Jesus' name. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the words of support on the post. I appreciate it.
    Keep up the great work & happy blogging!

    Zean
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete