Friday, July 31, 2009


Godly Friends

(Prov 12:26 NIrV) Godly people are careful about the friends they choose. But the way of sinners leads them down the wrong path.

This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon contrasts how the Godly choose their friends wisely, while the ungodly make friendships with the wrong people. My mother was very concerned about who I chose to be my friends The people we choose to associate ourselves with says a great deal about us and more importantly, their influence can (and most likely will) directly affect our lives.

Solomon is teaching us that if we DO NOT choose our friends wisely, the friends we choose (the ungodly) will eventually lead us down the wrong path. Countless people have wrecked their lives by connecting with the wrong crowd.

In the next chapter Solomon explains this well by saying, “Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces” (13:20). From this verse we learn that both wisdom and foolishness can be transferred by association. There are clear advantages to choosing the right friends. Let’s look at a few:

1. You get the safety of wise counsel: Earlier in this series we learned: “Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety” (Proverbs 11:14). When you surround yourself with the right people, you will receive the right feedback when you bounce your ideas off of them.

2. Your character is protected: In Paul’s first letter to the church at Corinth he was addressing a myriad of issues within their church. The church had allowed unruly conduct to spread like wildfire. Paul addressed the issues in many ways, but one thing he said that I want to highlight is: “Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character” ” (1st Corinthians 15:33). He did not mince words. He was clear that if you hang with corrupt people, you will eventually be corrupted.

3. You remain sharp: One of the greatest benefits of having Godly friends is that they keep you sharp. You are able to grow together. Later in Proverbs Solomon said, “As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend” (27:17). If you want to remain sharp, you must surround yourself with sharp people. A true God-friend can help keep you sharp in the Spirit, letting you know when you are getting off track. We all need that!

So what does this mean to you ? It means having the right friends is awesome. We all need people to share our life experiences with.

Everyone needs a Paul: a mentor, guide, someone who is already where they want to be, and who is willing to pour into them.

Everyone needs a Timothy: someone they can mentor, who wants to be where they already are, and who is willing to be poured into.

Everyone needs a Jonathan: someone on equal par with them, someone to share life experiences with, someone they can sharpen and to keep them sharp!

Do you have all these in your life? If not, ask God to lead you to them. When you have Godly friends the Father can use them to help keep you on the course to His desired destination for your life!


Father, I thank You for Your Word. Your Word is awesome and it applies to every area of my life. I declare, right now, that I have a Paul in my life. I have someone I look up to, who is already where I want to be, who can pour into my life! I have a Timothy, someone who wants to be where I already am, someone I can pour into and make an investment in. And I also have a Jonathan, a covenant sister, someone on my same level that can keep me sharp and who I can sharpen. I surround myself with the right people, who give me the right input, that influence me in the right way, so that I can arrive at the right destination for my life! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment