Wednesday, July 22, 2009


Truth Stands the Test of Time



(Prov 12:19 NLT) Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.

This morning we continue our series, This verse flows in the same vein as the one from two days ago (v.17). In that message I pointed out how Solomon’s father (David) hated falsehood and how Jesus identified satan as a liar and the father of lies. Jesus told us that lies are satan’s native language. Needless to say, that’s not the language we, as children of God, should aspire to speak.

In this verse Solomon tells us that truth stands the test of time, but lies are quickly exposed. When you speak the truth you can confidently hold your ground against any attack and investigation, but the liar gets nervous if someone questions their claims.

Liars know that if an investigation is made, the truth will come out and they will be exposed. The problem is that oftentimes an investigation is not even required. Those that are accustomed to lying are simply inconsistent. They tell one story today and another story tomorrow and it is hard for them to keep track of what was said to whom, so inevitably, their inconsistencies catch up with them. Before long they build up a reputation for being a person of questionable character.

People like this are never exalted, celebrated, or rewarded in history books. Hence, they don’t stand the test of time. Think of the many people we read about today – both biblical and non-biblical characters – that have stood the test of time, because they were people worthy of mention. They were men and women of integrity. If they were liars or people of questionable character, their names would not echo through the halls of time.

So what does this mean to you today? It means you should speak the truth and I will give you three more reasons why:

1. It’s a requirement of being Spirit led: Jesus said, “When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth” (John 16:13). The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of truth and part of His role in our lives is to lead us into all truth. As a Born-Again believer, truth must be your way of life. You can’t be led of God’s Spirit and lie at the same time. The Spirit of God will never lead you contrary to the Word of God.

2. It will help you be at peace with yourself: Paul said, “With Christ as my witness, I speak with utter truthfulness. My conscience and the Holy Spirit confirm it” (Romans 9:1). Not only should the Holy Spirit confirm the things that we say, but our conscious should as well. When we speak lies our conscious eats away at us (or at least it should). As a believer you should not be able to speak lies without being convicted. So, if you want to be at peace with God and yourself, simply speak the truth, no matter how uncomfortable or unpleasant.

3. It will help you build the right reputation: In the closing words of John’s third letter he said, “Everyone speaks highly of Demetrius, as does the truth itself. We ourselves can say the same for him, and you know we speak the truth” (v.12). We don’t know much about Demetrius, other than the fact that everyone spoke highly of him. He was obviously a person of strong character and conviction, especially for John to mention him in this letter. Demetrius’ name will now live on forever. He is mentioned in churches all over the world and he has been for thousands of years. Why? Because his character became his commendation. Universal integrity often commands universal respect and recognition. Can the same be said of you?

Father, I thank You for filling me with Your precious Holy Spirit. The Spirit of Truth lives in me and He guides me into all truth. I allow myself to be led of Him and I know that He will never lead me to lie. As I speak the truth I maintain my peace with You and with myself. My conscience can be at rest, because I know I speak the truth in love, no matter how unpleasant or uncomfortable. I speak the truth every time and in every situation. I am a person of integrity and my character becomes my commendation! I shall be known as a child of truth and my life shall stand the test of time! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment