Monday, July 20, 2009


Speak the Truth!


(Prov 12:17 NIV) A truthful witness gives honest testimony, but a false witness tells lies.

This morning we continue our series, Solomon has already done a great deal of teaching on integrity and I have shared that a person of integrity is a person that is fully integrated (Spirit, Soul and Body). I have also heard it said that honesty is being true to others, integrity is being true to one's self.

In this case Solomon warns us against those who are neither true to themselves or others. Telling a lie is bad enough, but doing so under oath is even worse. We should speak the truth whether we are under an oath to do so or not, but after taking such an oath, after publically vowing to speak the truth, to then lie is to break the oath, disrespect the court, disregard the judicial system, and dishonor God. Modern society seems to have lowered its standards in many areas, but make no mistake; God's standards have never been lowered. The Father expects us to say what we mean and to mean what we say. Whether in a court or in common conversation, whether under an oath in court or just hanging out with your friends, your words matter to God and they should matter to you. Over the years I have developed more of a tolerance for people's mistakes. God has shown mercy to me and I have grown in my ability to show mercy to others. But one thing that is hard for me to get over is if someone lies to me. If I know that someone just flat-out lied, then it is extremely hard for me to trust that person.

Solomon's father David could not stand liars. He said, David said, "I hate and abhor falsehood" (Psalm 119:163). Hate and abhor are strong words, but this is a strong subject and the severity is warranted. We serve a God who "cannot lie" (Titus 1:2). Our God is a God of truth. He never says one thing and means something else. He never misleads us. He never misguides us. He never deceives us. Our God is a true God and if we are His children, we should be children of truth.Jesus had some pretty strong opinions about the subject as well. He never lied - not even once - and He expected His followers to be honest. In John chapter 8 Jesus had a confrontational conversation with a group of Jews that were coming up against Him. Jesus said, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you?" I know that we like to think of the nice, compassionate, and loving Jesus, but Jesus was also bold, strong, and confrontational when He needed to be. He spoke against sin and He rose up against unrighteousness. He did not cut any corners when speaking to this group. He was clear that God was not their Father. He went on to say, "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies" (John 8:42-44).

Wow! Jesus made it plain. The devil is a liar and the father of lies. Lying is satan's native language, so when you speak lies you are lining yourself up with satan, not Jehovah. Is that where you want to be?So what does this mean to you ? It simply means that you should speak the truth. Say what you mean and mean what you say. I have seen numerous business deals solidified with nothing more than a handshake and a word. Why? If you want your words to matter you must speak the truth. If you build a reputation for being a liar, no one will trust you with anything.
Father, I know that You are a God of truth. Therefore, I declare, by faith, that I am child of truth. I speak the truth in love. I refuse to lie. I speak the truth, even when it is uncomfortable and unpleasant. My word is my bond. I shall be known as a person of integrity and honesty. Because my words matter to me, they will matter to others! I what I mean and I mean what I say! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment