Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Use Your Words Wisely



(Prov 12:13 GNB) The wicked are trapped by their own words, but honest people get themselves out of trouble.



This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon contrasts how the words of the wicked get them IN trouble, whereas the words of the righteous keep us from it. The Bible has a great deal to say about the importance of our words. Here Solomon lets us know that the wicked are literally entrapped by the own words.



Another translation says, "ensnared." Just like a bear trap ensnares a huge bear and keeps him entangled and restricted, so it is with the words of the wicked. Since their heart is not pure, they routinely speak words that do not line up with God's word. Speaking lies are commonplace for the wicked, but the problem is that sooner or later the liar inevitably contradicts himself, thus getting himself in trouble with his own lips.



Not only that, but the wicked are programmed to speak fear, doubt and unbelief. They see nothing wrong with saying things like, "This doesn't look good," "I don't think this is going to happen for us," "I'm afraid the whole thing is falling apart," "I can't seem to make it through the day," "I don't know if I can take another day like this," "I can't keep my home in this economy," and the list can go on and on. Without even knowing it, the wicked entrap themselves with their own words. Solomon tells us that the righteous, however, use the same vehicle (their mouth) to speak life and instead of getting them into trouble, their words keep them from it.


The power of the spoken word is one of life's greatest mysteries. All that you will ever be or accomplish hinges on what you choose to come out of your mouth. By what you allow to occupy your mind and mouth you can either bless your life to great heights of success or send it orbiting into realms of failure, sadness, and discontent. Consciously choosing your words is like putting together the right combination of brick and mortar. Just as the great architects have taken raw materials to build skyscrapers and timeless monuments, your words are the raw materials that can form the life you are meant to live.

One of the greatest ways to use our mouths to keep us from trouble is to approach God in prayer. It is with words that we communicate with God and we release Him to move in our lives. In Job 22 we see the importance of coming to God in prayer; it says, "You will make your prayer to Him, and He will hear you, and you will pay your vows. You shall also decide and decree a thing, and it shall be established for you" (Job 22:27,28). What are you deciding and decreeing over your life and over the lives of your loved ones? If you are speaking the wrong words, you will get the wrong results.

So what does this mean? It means that your words can either entrap you or keep you from the trap, so please choose them wisely. Never speak words of fear, doubt or unbelief. Command your morning with words of prayer and then reinforce your prayer with words of faith all day long. You can't speak faith in the morning and fear all day and expect to see results. Speak faith, speak life, speak victory, speak God's best over your life and over the lives of your family daily! If you do, your words will not entrap you, they will protect you from being trapped!

Father, I thank You for giving me the ability to think, believe, speak and act. I choose to fill my heart with good things. I read, believe and apply Your Word. Your Word fills my heart, so that my mouth will speak out of the abundance of it. I speak life and never death, blessing and never cursing, victory and never defeat! I refuse to ensnare myself with my own words. Conversely, I use my words to keep me from the traps of the enemy. In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment