Wednesday, July 15, 2009


Words and Action

(Prov 12:14 CEV) We are rewarded or punished for what we say and do.

This morning we continue our series, Solomon's message in this verse is very clear. He has taught us over and over again how important our words are and here he emphasizes the fact that our words of faith must be backed by actions of faith. Speaking words is one thing, but we must be prepared to DO all that we say, in faith, by the grace of God. A good example of this is the story of David and Goliath. The story is long, so I will attempt to summarize it.

We know that Goliath had been taunting King Saul and the entire Israeli army for 40 days. David shows up on the scene, hears what Goliath is saying (negative words) and he ready to DO something about it. David, still a teenager at the time, stood before King Saul and said, "Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him."

Do you hear the faith in his words? He had not doubt in his heart. He was completely confident. This was a 17yr. old kid coming up against a 9ft. tall warrior, but David was not scared, because God was with him. He knew that he + God = victory! Every time!

Guess what Saul did? He tried to discourage David. Saul said, "You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a boy, and he has been a fighting man from his youth." Saul just flat-out told David that he could not do it. So what did David do? Did he throw in the towel? Did he get scared? He allow Saul's words of discouragement and defeat negatively affect him? No!

David never repeated the negative words spoken to him and David never spoke fear, doubt, or unbelief. He simply ignored Saul's comments and said, "I've been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I'd go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I'd grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference - I killed it. And I'll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive." Wow!

David said a mouthful there. He looked back to look forward. He remembered what God had done for him in the past and he used his past experiences as motivation for his present obstacle. He was bold, he was confident, he was convinced, he spoke with conviction, and best of all, he was ready to back up his words with ACTION!

So Saul gave David his shot. The fate of the entire nation was resting upon the shoulders of a 17yr. old. When David finally got to stand before the giant, Goliath said, "Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?" Goliath was upset that a little boy came out to fight him. But David had a few words of his own. David said, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty... This day the Lord will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head... the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give all of you into our hands"(1 Kings 17:45-47).

So what does this mean to you t? It means that with God all things are possible; it means that you are only limited by your capacity to believe God; it means that your words must align with God's opinion of you; and it means that you must learn to overlook and ignore discouragement if you are going to be the person God desires for you to be! David spoke Faith-Filled words and he backed up with his with action. Are you ready to do the same today?

Lord God, I believe that all things are possible for me. I look at every situation through the lens of faith. My speech is seasoned with the language of faith. My determination comes from the inward confidence I have in you. I am able to overlook and ignore words of discouragement and I am able to focus in on and be fueled by Your Word. I am who You say that I am. I can do what You say that I can do. I can go where You say that I can go and if you be for me, no one can stop me! I speak Faith-Filled words and I back up my words with action. I shall be rewarded by what I say and do! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment