Friday, October 2, 2009


Giving Your Decisions Diligence

(Prov 14:15 NLT) Only simpletons believe everything they are told! The prudent carefully consider their steps.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon gives us sound counsel. He warns us from being so naïve that we believe everything we are told. Solomon tells us to carefully consider our steps. In other words, we are to give our decisions careful and thoughtful consideration.

When I first move to California I had to learn quickly not to believe everything people said. Being naïve and coming from a small island when I got here I seem to have come in contact with every common-day liars, out there and also connivers, seeking to scheme their way to a quick buck.

When I got here we had no money no job and we lived in a very bad part of town. I found out that in this type of environment produces young adults and adults who are very careful and mostly cautious when dealing with people. You could accuse me of being gullible when I first got here.

I was one of those people that was completely gullible, and could easily be taken advantage of. I trusted everybody and for the most part, which made me susceptible to being taken advantage of. And trust me I was taken advantaged of robbed beaten down and that is just to mention a few thing …Yes Toto we are no longer in OZ

I began to meet people that trusted no one. And after going trough so much I had begun to have my guard up at all times as well. And I became extremely cautious and wary of others, which helped me from being conned, but it also made it hard for me to build true relationships. It was a very dark and lonely place.

After going through this and livening on both ends I have decided that I believe God’s desire for our lives lies somewhere in the middle.

The Message Bible translation of this verse reads: “The gullible believe anything they're told; the prudent sift and weigh every word.” At the end of the day, we are where we are because of the decisions we have made. So it stands to reason that if we desire to live a good life, then we need to make good decisions; we must develop a decision making process that lends itself to Godly success.

Solomon is teaching us about that process and it includes careful, thoughtful and deliberate consideration of all the circumstances and possible consequences surrounding a decision, before the decision is made. He tells us to sift and weigh every word; to carefully think through all the avenues and aspects.

Solomon knew why this was so important. He was running a kingdom. The decisions he made affected millions of people. He definitely knew the value of thorough planning and the importance of collecting all the facts. He was the wisest man of his time and we would do well by applying His wisdom – which is actually God’s wisdom being shared through Him – to our lives.

So what does this mean to you? It means that God expects you to be prudent in the management of your affairs. Don’t believe everything you are told. Collect all the facts surrounding a situation before making a decision. Carefully, thoughtfully, and thoroughly weigh all possible consequences. Also, pray! Get God involved in the situation through prayer. Consider God’s Word and judge the decision you have come up with against the Word. Allow God’s standard to be the ruler and guide for your life.

And then, after you are convinced in your spirit and mind that this is the right decision, then make it and step out with fearless confidence; knowing that you have given the decision due diligence.

Father, I thank You for loving me enough to provide me Your Word and Your Spirit. Your Word instructs me and Your Spirit guides me. With Your Word and Your Spirit I am able to develop into the person You desire for me to be. And that person is not gullible or naïve. While I am a trusting person, I don’t blindly trust, to the point where I become susceptible to being take advantage of. I am prudent in the management of my affairs. I collect all the facts surrounding an issue before making a decision. I weigh all the consequences, I seek to line up my decisions with Your Word, and I also seek Your guidance in prayer. After putting all these checks in place, when I finally do make a decision, I seek to implement it with fearless confidence; totally trust that I am doing the right thing before You! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment